Pal60 - 60 MHZ ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Philmaximus, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Philmaximus

Philmaximus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,
    Sort of a computer/TV question.
    I found out that many xbox games run better in Pal60 mode , which i guess is at 60MHZ.
    I only have a 50MHZ Widescreen - JVC AV28R25 , so would this mean that there would be no point in changing this option from what i guess is Pal50 mode, as my tv won't be able to handle it?

Also, i'm having trouble setting up my picture dimentions (vertical/horizontal) correctly - i get the picture size perfect 4 watching TV, then go onto play my XBox and 4 example, Fifa 2004 is set up fine but the picture on Lord of the rings is not full size leaving inch gaps on the left and the right of the screen!!?? any ideas why! i can't keep readjusting the settings back and forth!

Cheers PHilmaximus

2. Bratfud Recusant

Bratfud Recusant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Hi there Phil,

Ok, yeah, you're right PAL60 is 60hz (not 'Mhz') which, basically speaking, runs PAL at 60 frames a sec, rather than the normal 50 frames a sec, so those Xbox games encoded with PAL60 SHOULD look better.

But reading your description of your games above, it seems that even though you might think that your JVC is only a 50hz set, if you get the inch-wide gaps on your screen this suggests that your set can indeed accept a PAL60 signal (the gaps being the outcome of the set running at PAL60 which simulates NTSC). Usually though, the rule of thumb to apply is that if your TV is under 5 years old and can run pure NTSC then it will , in all probability, run PAL60.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

LAGAVULIN

3. Philmaximus

Philmaximus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin:

Thankyou Lagavulin, that does help alot, esp identifiying between MHZ and FPS. My Tv is pretty new so i'm hoping it will be able to play games that "should" look better in Pal60 mode!.

Would this mean, that where there are gaps on the left and right (previously using PAl50 mode (on LOTRs), then setting the Xbox to 60 fps, the game will play on full screen with no gaps? :rolleyes:

Been a great help - cheers

4. Bratfud Recusant

Bratfud Recusant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Hi again Phil,

You're more than welcome:smashin:

Anyway, when your Xbox is set to PAL60 it will automatically output a PAL60 signal when detected on the software. Moreover, if your set is relatively 'new' (i.e. less than 5 years old) it will more than likely also playback a PAL60 signal automatically so the gaps at the L & R sides of the screen are in all probability the effect of a PAL60 signal being displayed on your set.

This is pretty much the same effect I have on mine (Panny PD30). When using non-PAL60 games, they fill the screen, but playing back PAL60 games I nigh-on always get a small gap on either side. I'm unsure of the technical reason why PAL60 does this but it's something to do with the way that a 60hz signal is displayed. To be fair, there's nothing you can do about this, unless you calibrate your set exclusively for NTSC signals, then PAL60 will be pretty much spot on:suicide:

Sorry I can't be of more help,

Regards,

LAGAVULIN

5. Philmaximus

Philmaximus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl: you've been more than enough help! thanx!
    I have a better understanding now, and realise, that there isn't a whole lot you can do about the gaps!
    its alright though!
    Cheers again!
    Philmaximus

6. Bratfud Recusant

Bratfud Recusant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Your welcome mate:smashin: glad to help a fellow Xboxer:hiya:

As the sayin goes you can't have your cake........

Either PAL60 which I think offers a far smoother frame rate and more definition and dynamic picture quality BUT you get your gaps; or PAL50, no gaps but worse PQ:confused:

Anyway, best regards,

LAGAVULIN