1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pal Xbox + softmod + HiDef pack on SHARP LC32GA5E?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Def Tex, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Def Tex

Def Tex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

New poster to these forums, although I've spen the last 3 days reading threads and investigating, so apologies if this is already covered but I couldn't see a definitive answer.... My heads full of figures/sets and prices and I'm about to pull my hair out but I'm hoping someone can help me out!?

I want to get a large LCD to replace my 32" Grundig CRT. My only priority is that it must accept component input for Xbox and Xbox360, aswell as SVideo (for a second xbox) and a couple of scart connections for sky and video. Price is also an issue and top range of my budget is <£1000 (unfortunately!)

The Sharp LCGA5E (approx £860 delivered) seems to fit the bill but I'm just concerned I wont get progressive scan upto 720p when using the Hi def pack(this will only matter to me once the xbox 360 is out). Can anyone confirm this set works fine for a Pal xbox running(modded) in Hi-def??

Any advice/info would be really appreciated as I really like the look of this set, especially at the price!. I just don't know enough about set requirements for Xbox Hi Def.

Thanks

P.S DVI & HDMI are not as important to me as the screen size and price as I wont be using HDTV/HDCP for a few years yet

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    The Sharp lcd you mention will display 720p fine. And at £860 is a good deal imho.

You say HDMI are not important but there are a couple of 32" LCD sets creeping onto the market now for under £1000 that have either HDMI/DVI. For example this LG is one of themClicky!

3. Def Tex

Def Tex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks PooonTang, I'd almost certainley decided on that set.... until clicking your clicky :eek:

I'm still a bit confused though. I know I'll need to switch my Xbox over to NTSC to enable Hi def but doesn't that mean, therefore, I'll need a set which accepts an NTSC signal (or does component bypass that?). I only mention this because I see the LG is Pal & Secam... but not NTSC.

4. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    The Lg has a PAL and Secam TV tuner. This doesn't mean it won't accept a NTSC signal from an external source.

5. WSB

WSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I cant comment on the LG- but I bought the Relisys RLT3200 from techfever around 6 weeks ago. I cant get the full 1366 x 768 resolution on it (from a PC perspective) but the xbox is great on it and it does support hdtv and is also in your price range so take a look at it.

You should also post/look on the lcd forum before making a choice to get a more informed opinion- and most importantly- go take a look at it before you buy it- opinions and reviews are all well and good but it doesnt beat seeing it in action.

6. Def Tex

Def Tex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks WSB,

I really like the look of the Relisys, I just didn't think it could do hi def Xbox!

It seems that my options are down to:

Sharp 32" GA5E
    Hitachi 32"
    Relisys 32"
    LG 32"

all these seem to cope with Hi def XB and most have DVI/HDMI and less than than £1000. I'll need to scour the shops at the weekend to check them all out but I think I may go with the Relisys. as I like the removable speakers (they are a waste with a 5.1amp) and the look of the sets connections.

My first LCD and I'm getting a bit excited!!

Just re-read the appreciation thread for the Relysis and I'm going to order one on Friday, for about £870 (without speakers, maybe with stand :rolleyes: ). Thanks for everyones input - lol! well thanks pooontang and wsb anyway!