1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL XBOX over Component??

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Saltrock, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Saltrock

Saltrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

Just got my new plasma (PHD8) and would like to hook up my xbox to it (only had the advanced scart pack before)

I've odered a 3rd party component xbox cable from Lik-Sang but have just been told the UK xbox does not output over component??

Is this correct?

Do I need to softmod or chip the box to get it to work??

Many thanks

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    yes the pal xbox does output over component, but unless its modded in some way your just be getting the same quality of picture as you would if you used the advanced scart

3. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Have a look at the Forum Softmod Thread. It will tell you how to mod without chipping etc, and you may be able to borrow the bits that you need via the thread :)

4. Saltrock

Saltrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help guys.

Just looking for a solution to tie me over till the 360 arrives :thumbsup:

5. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    yea it will work, but youd need the softmod for higher resolutions, however it will be crap as you got a third party lead, can i just ask you a serious question, it always bugs me about people, why on earth did you buy a third party lead and not the official one? i dont know what posseses people to do it, they go out to find a way of getting better performance from their equipment then go for the cheap option.

your not the type of person who decides they want performance tyres then buys firestone instead of bridgestone are you?

6. Saltrock

Saltrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Jago.

No, i'm usually one of those "what if" people.
    I.E. I couldn't get the PWD8 as I knew i'd be sitting there thinking "i wonder how good the pic would have been on a higher res set?" - it HAD to be the PHD8!!

The reason I went for the cheaper cable was for 2 reasons:

1. If its just a straight pins on the xbox - 3 phono I didn't think the quality difference was going to be that bad.
    2. I'm waiting around for the 360 and just needed a cable to get a pretty good picture 'till its released.

If it's cr*p then i'll throw it in the bin/on ebay - whatever - its only £6!
    I have no cable to view any image on the screen at the moment so even composite would be better than nothing.

Yea the official cable is another option - but i'll see what this one looks like first (by the time it gets delivered from Lik the 360 release date will be days away anywho!! :devil: )

7. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    To be fair I nearly went the non MS route with the cable. YOu usually find that component cables for example can be made well by 1000 companies, and that you just pay premium for the name.
    However, I went MS after everybody here told me too.

8. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    everyone buys the MS cables cause all third party cables are rubbish, the reason why they cant be as good is because MS has a patent on the chip INSIDE the component cable, other manufaturers cant copy it so they have to work around it

9. Sting King

Sting King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I bought a third party component cable off ebay for about a fiver, I was quite pleased with the results, after reading on this forum about MS cable being vastly superior I decided to purchase one from lik sang for around 26 quid, I cannot say that the difference in PQ was that great that it warranted the extra 21 quid IMHO.

However the optical out didnt work on the third party cable so it was reason enough for me to buy the MS one.

10. miketrim

miketrim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I agree. I have third party lead and the quality is excellent. You people who are drawn into "Official" stuff play right into Microsofts hands and obviously have money to burn :D

11. gearguy

gearguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Erm...

Erm... Why is there a chip in the cable?
    The Xbox outputs component from it's AV port by having the component select pins grounded...

12. BigGEORDIE

BigGEORDIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    by christ you stopped that silly conversation. third party leads by GOOD manufacturas are as good as the named one . IF not better because they trie harder.

13. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    Sorry but I have to respectfully disagree. Third pafrty cables can be just as good as offical ones and in some cases better. Unfortunately there is this widespread mentallity that official cables are always the way to go. At the end of the day you pay more for official cables when in most cases you can buy third party ones which are just as good if not better for less.

And by the way this talk about a chip in the cable is rubbish as there is no such thing. I have have no idea where you got such a ridiculous idea.