1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL XBOX and Hi-Def

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by PJnewbie, Jun 28, 2004.

1. PJnewbie

PJnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I know PAL XBOXs do not support hi-def output, but I have the official Microsoft Hi-Def kit and want to play GTA III and Vice City etc. in hi-def.

I know I need to get my XBOX modded, but do I then need to purchase NTSC versions of the games, or will PAL versions still work?

What mod would be best for me?

Thanks all.

2. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    You do not need to buy ntsc xbox games pal games will work fine ive had no trouble with my games as for which mod its best have a search of these forums or search on google for info.

3. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Just playing this at the moment. Absolutely awsome. Do you get HD picture with the pal version though ? I thought not. I have a US copy of this game, the quality is stunning.

You are going to love this on your projector in HD.

4. ado

ado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    you only get hi def on region 1 xbox's as the pal xbox doesnt support this.

BUT :clap:

if your xbox is modded and you install the enigma video selector - you can change it to ntsc, got into the video menu (msdashboard) and a new menu has appeared allowing you to select 3 hdtv resolution's.
    only as long as youve got the region 1 hi def kit as the pal xbox hi def kit wont show this menu even when selected to ntsc.

or the x2vga+ which im currently using in hdtv 720 mode connected to my 17" lcd monitor :cool:

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    So there's a Pal xbox hi def kit, that doesn't allow you to play in Hi def? Something's not right. I'm after the best resolution from my PAL xbox - what exactly would the PAL Hi def kit do for me? And what more can I get (in terms of hi def only) from having it modified?

This seems to be quite a confusing area, and I'm finding different opinions in every thread I read.

Thanks

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Its not a Pal high def kit. Its a component cable if your pal xbox Isnt chipped and had the region changed with the region switch disc.

The HD feature on Pal xbox is diabled. You have to chip the console and change it to ntsc is you want HD.

7. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Thanks. Once modded, how do you install the enigma video selector (where do you get what you need)? Is the region 1 hi def kit a component cable?

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    No its a hd pack apparently and defacto a component cable but you cant get HD from an unmodded pal xbox. Fact. Dont buy the crappy Gamster pack anyway. Its rubbish and costs more than the proper ms one from lik sang !

You can download the switch disc. It comes as an iso. Burn to dvdr using nero. Boots up and you select ntsc (or pal if you want to switch it back and it flashs your box to change the region. If you do a search on the forums there is a post with a link to a place that sells it for around £7 I think if you dont fancy making your own.

Can I just ask. Have you thought about just buying an ntsc box.......Dont need to get it chipped. Dont need to switch the region. And no worries using live. With the exchange rates avasilable for £70 plus a power transformer (£10)........... Its definately the easy option.

9. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I've only just started finding out about this since I've started ordering my home cinema. Was no point with my old tv, but with a 50" HD plasma, I thought I should start researching.

I hadn't thought about buying NTSC, but certainly an option. Would mean that I'd need both in the same room to play old and new games though, and would be a simillar price to modding my xbox. Is a modded xbox multi region, or do you need to run the switch disk each time you want to change?

Many thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

10. PJnewbie

PJnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where can I order an NTSC XBOX from online? From a UK source I mean, rather than from a US site?

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Ebay.ca ? Not sure really there must be import places that sell them over here all be it at a premium. Personally I am just going to pick one up next time I am over there for Halo 2 on live.

12. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Triggaaar,

I've got a modded PAL Xbox and when selected to NTSC it plays PAL games fine. I've also played PAL games while the box is set to 480p with great results.

You could also fit a solder free mod chip. I soldered mine because I could but it's not everyones cup 'o tea. The Hi-Def kit I use is a multi output box with scart, s-video, composite and component along with L&R audio, coaxial and optical for 5.1 :clap: tremendous

The enigma video switcher is installed on the Xbox hard drive. You'd also have to install a second dashboard like EvolutionX.

Look at http://www.xbox-scene.com for everything you want to know about the console. Once it's chipped it's so much more than a games machine. You should also check out details on the Xbox Media Centre, this is just the best. It'll allow you to play almost every media file you can think of. :smashin:

13. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Gotcha, thanks.

I've read its best to solder. But if you use the solder free version, once its working, I don't suppose there's a problem if you don't move your xbox about.
    Which Hi-Def kit is that? Everyone seems to think the MS HD kit provides the best quality, but to my knowledge, it only has optical out for 5.1 - same as sky, and my processor only has 1 optical input. I've seen a link to how to mod your xbox to include a digital coax output, but don't fancy doing it myelf.
    I've had a look on xbox scene. There's a lot of info there. Not sure I actually want it to be a media centre, I just want the best output. But you never know.

Thanks!

14. Slickeeboy

Slickeeboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was just asking some of the same questions in my last post, but this has been a great help.

I have the Enigmah Switch disc already which I just use whenever, so do I really need to have it installed on my HD?
    Also when running pal games in do I have to constantly change the resolution etc in the dashboard? If I select the max resolution I have available will the console not auto select the suitable setting?

Lastly if I have a PAL disc which will not boot in NTSC mode and I have to change back to PAL mode will I have to go back to using my advanced scart lead to play that game?

Thanx. :smashin:

15. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,489

can you give more details on this

will it work on non modded box and where can it be obtained from

i would like high def from my xbox but dont want a mod chip

16. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, that could be handy for me also.....depending on the quality.

Who makes that & where did you get it from?

Ta :)

17. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I bought it on ebay like THIS one. I'd normally buy QED or IXOS interconnects but in this case this one does the job well and does use gold plated connectors. No problems :smashin:

Installing the Enigmah Switch software onto the HDD just makes it easier to change back and forth.

Installing a solder free chip is fine if you're not going to move the box about. Not an issue for me as I've soldered it.

I'm unsure as I've only tried it with my modded one.

18. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Will have a look :)

19. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,489
    any more news on the switch disc

20. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm also interested in the switch disk. I don't want to mod my (PAL) xbox if I can help it - but want 480p output.

I've read about "save game hacks" and the "enigmah disk" etc. - but all I really wanna do is fire a disk in which allows me to set the video region to NTSC and then off I go :)

Is it possible? If so - does someone wanna sell me a disk? :)

ZedZed

21. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Thanks for that. Have you had a chance to compare the quality with the MS HD kit? This is cheaper, and has more options (notably SPDIF coax out), but like many others, I'm after the best high def output.

22. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I haven't tried the MS HiDef kit so I can't compare.

All I can say is using the kit I have connected to my TV via component and switched to 480p the PQ is extremely good. I'd really like to borrow a projector to try it at 720p.

I'm also considering modifying this break out box to add a 15 pin VGA connector. I've got a 22" Compaq monitor that would accept 1080i as well as the rest. I'll probably do this later in the year as I'm in the middle of moving house. :zonked:

23. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    You cant get 480p output from a Pal xbox unless it is modded. It has to be modded before it will accept the region switch disc. There is a way of modding Xbox without a chip. It is called a soft hack and utilises the anomally you have mentioned in a game save.

I dont know how to do it but I have a friend who has his console modded with this hack and it does work. He bought his off some guy on a forum.

There is a tutorial here but use at your own peril

http://www.sbeyer.netfirms.com/gouki/part1.html

24. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks Harris - that guide looks v. good.

Now ... a search on ebay for action replay and 007 ..... ;-)

ZedZed

25. funkin

funkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just "upgraded" to the hi-def pack (from lik sang) and with this hooked into my plasma, I am so impressed by the graphics on games that support higher resolutions. I've so far tested a little with Tony Hawk and MX Unleashed and cannot believe how great the graphics are. I'm just miffed that it took me 6 months to get around to buying the hi-def pack.

Additionally, if you're running software like Xbox Media Centre XBMC the higher resolution is so good for viewing images and just browsing through directories of mp3's etc. Awesome. :thumbsup:

26. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    looks like I'll be getting the Lik Sang HD kit.
    Problem is I'll be short of component inouts on my plasma. So I'm considering going in on a 15in d-sub (HD15). Fortunatley I know this port accept RGsB component, and I can get a cable with hd15 on end and 3xRCAs the other.
    But does the Lik Sang output RGB with synch on green?

The alternative is another convertor inline of component to VGA which starts to get pretty messy...

27. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    You could use a component switch. I have one I have not used that I can let you have (I used DVI for the DVD in the end). As long as you put it somewhere accessible not a problem especially for the XB which is probably not used continuously.......

28. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    hmmm I could use a switch but I'm reluctant to put anything in line with my preciously defended 75 Ohm leads and connectors (OK with RCAs at one end I'm dropping it a bit but I don't want to degrade it any more given the price of the cables and TV is the other source).

What format is the video coming from the HD kit? I think it's component aka YUV and if so, I don't think it can be expected to go straight into a HD15 socket which is expecting Analogue RGB (synch on green).

29. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    What you are suggesting is not going to work. As you say its component (YUV) If you have a decent amp it will propbably do component switching as well. If its a decent switch the quality loss should not be evident. But it depends how anal you are about these things; many on here are exceptionally so with this regard to say the least :rolleyes:

30. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you check out Xbox Scene there's a tutorial on how to do (plus many other) this by simply connecting to the component output within the Xbox. This will be dependant on the type of display you intend to use though. My monitor will accept it...allegedly. I'll find out once I do the mod.