1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL tearing on HS10

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by John_N, Feb 17, 2003.

1. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm using the custom powerstrip settings on my Radeon 9000 pro card. The refresh solution shown on the screen is 60hz. Resolution 1368*768.

Over DVI, the projector says it's on preset 51 - which has a refresh rate of 56hz I think.

When viewing movies (PowerDVD) - pans definitely exhibit signs of tearing because of this refresh rate mismatch.

Questions:

1. Is my card actually refreshing at 56hz rather than the 60hz shown? I'm assuming that the tearing is caused by the field rate of my PAL DVD being 50 fields / sec and the card displaying at 56hz.

2. Has anyone else noticed this issue?

3. I can't think of an easy fix. Just that at the moment - (picture quality aside) - my DVD player gives a better image over component because of course it exhibits no tearing.

4. One idea for a fix might be to try and get a component video output from the PC. The HS10 will handle a PAL signal over component without tying you into the stupid 56hz refresh rate and hence that might work. The other option would be to try the S-video output from my radeon card.... yuck...

Any ideas?
    Cheers
    John

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Morning John
    Mine says preset 121 but I dont think that matters.
    I beleive so, I've got to be honest and say that most of my DVD collections is R1 but I have never noticed the tearing that you talk about, I do watch a fair bit of Sky using Dscaler.
    Is the DVD player a PS unit, if so there wont be that much in it, the PC will be better but only in the detail, probably not in pans.
    You could get the Radeon dongle and get component out which woyuld theoretically allow 720p from the PC, trhis will still give a fixed refresh rate of 60hz though so I dont know that it will help all that much.

I still think you need to try a different software player, I know it sucks throwing more money at something when you've already paid for it but you can download and pay for Theatretek, not register it for the 1st week and claim a refund if it doesn't show an improvement......I know you will.:smashin:

Svideo out of the Radeon doesn't command a reply.:rolleyes:

3. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John

Now I actually do have 3 players on my PC which I'm messing with :)

WinDVD - (sound only in Stereo - not the full 5.1 surround for some reason)

PowerDVD - (works fine with full surround)

TheaterTek - (No sound working - yet).

When (if) I get the sound working on Theatertek I'll let you know whether it was a player issue.

On PowerDVD it shows up on sideways pans. I was watching 'pulp fiction' last night and it was quite noticeable on large pans. I assumed it was PAL tearing but it just occurred to me that it might be some other issue.

I'm playing the movie direct from my hard drive using Daemon Tools to mount a virtual ISO image on the HTPC. It just occurred to me though that maybe it wasn't using DMA on the virtual drive and hence maybe the data wasn't coming in fast enough.. Mind you it wasn't actually jerky or missing frames, more like on a moving vertical edge there was nasty noise which I assumed was 'tearing' as opposed to deinterlacing artifacts like combing and such like.

I'll see if theatertek is any better tonight.
    cheers
    john

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Time to get some seperate partitions and split things up, that much experimenting causes as many problems as it fixes:lesson: :D In all seriousness though, I've had sound isssues and haven't got to the bottom of why some stuff works and equally that it can stop working for no apparant reason. With two or three programs all accessing/messing with the sound drivers trouble is on its way.;)

Cant say I've tried the playing from harddrive bit yet, on my list of things to play with.:)

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John(s) ;)

Sounds to me like you're seeing stutter rather than tearing.

Tearing is where the pic breaks up along a horizontal line(s). So the top half/one third etc.. is slightly ahead of/behind the other section.

The stutter problem hasn't an easy fix (if any!). Different frame rates from DVD (24/25 NTSC/Pal) being refreshed/drawn by the graphics card at a different frequency, being displayed by the LCD panels, again refreshing at different freqs.

IMO, the benefits of the picture via DVI (& all the adjustments/calibration available) outway the one drawback of a HTPC - stutter on slow horizontal pans.

I've learned to live with this problem & it's very low in terms of priority. Prefer it it wasn't there, but we can't always have what we want - trust me.

:hiya:

6. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

It's FIXED. It wasn't tearing at all. It wasn't even a slight stutter. I think it was a problem with PowerDVD instead.

I've managed to get TheaterTek working (changed the sound renderer to one of my 'wave' renderers - it was the last one in the list as luck would have it) and all of a sudden TheaterTek bursts into life.

So: TheaterTek seems to give me a better picture than powerDVD by quite a wide margin. Result. It hasn't crashed yet either.

It's a shame I forked out for powerDVD really. I might try and get my money back....

Cheers
    John

7. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Kramer
    Thats another way of describing stairstepping. I dont see it at all since using a PS output device.
    This hobby sucks at times....its always, if only....:( More money, more change, more messed up living room, moaning GF etc etc.:D

8. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi John_N

I'm glad your sorted, told you Theatretek was better than PowerDVD:p

Now about that partitioning:lesson:

Just go enjoy a film:D

9. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John

I would go & enjoy a film except that 'her indoors' is busy watching a VHS recording of "Camilla and Charles" or something on our HS10 cum TV downstairs... yuck. So I'm up here for a while... :D

As for powerDVD and WinDVD. They will be de-installed once I'm satisfied that TheaterTek is stable.

Eventually I'm going to build a dedicated HTPC - I was going to use this machine as the HTPC and use a lower spec machine as the desktop but of course I haven't got around to configuring the machines again and moving all the user accounts around since I'm on win 2K. Sigh. It would be a lot easier to use a brand new machine as a HTPC eventually because this machine is a bit of an overkill for HTPC since it's got 15,000 RPM ultra 160 SCSI disks for a start... :eek:

Cheers
    John

10. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You know its the only sensible option, with it upstairs or wherever you said it was, it wont even be that expensive to do..£200 easy, you've already got the video card, asus a7v8x with onboard spdif and an xp2100+ oem with a fan, cheap case and an old 2gb harddrive that you've probably got kicking about ( I have one spare if you want) probably less, cheap kvm for configuring it from your desk or a network cable and remote desk into it.

Its only when you want it in the same room it gets dear...I know:rolleyes:

11. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Yeah I know - I've already got a spare PC - just needs a motherboard and CPU upgrade and I can use it so it won't cost me all that much and I can use this machine as a server to hold all my data and stream it over the ethernet... Ta for the offer of spare HDD but it's OK I've already got them lying all over the place..

There's always something to do... :)

Rgds
    John

12. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hmmmm...
    1 * 2gb
    2 * 4gb