PAL PS3, Japanese NTSC TV...cant display. help please!!!

iamthehighway

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I lugged my Aussie PAL ps3 all the way to Japan and for the last year have been using a computer monitor using HDMI to display it.

Last week i decided to buy a proper tv, Sharp 32 inch Aquos, only to find the dreaded "unsupported signal" prompt from the tv when using HDMI. then found out japanese tvs dont support PAL at all.. even brand new sets like this.

ive seen other posts on this and the solution seems to be to use composite Green, Blue and etc cables, the problem here is this set doesnt have em...to get to the menus ive used RCA cables which, due to PAL/NTSC differences, is in B+W...

the other options for connecting are S-Video and DVI... would DVI connection be useful here does anyone think?
just wanted to check before i cry more, accept defeat and buy a japanese PS3...

I thought that with HDMI it bypassed all the PAL/NTSC incompatibility. I'm currently running a Japanese PS3 to a UK Sharp LCD tv no problems, have you tried setting the output rating to 720p/1080i from the PS3 as it might be your TV can't accept 1080p signals.

How exactly do you do that? i went into display setting and changed the output to HDMI since the tv was adjusting automatically but dont know how you change the resolution?
I also thought that HD bypassed the PAL/NTSC annoyances.
My tv cannot accept 1080p, i definitely know that.

How exactly do you do that? i went into display setting and changed the output to HDMI since the tv was adjusting automatically but dont know how you change the resolution?
I also thought that HD bypassed the PAL/NTSC annoyances.
My tv cannot accept 1080p, i definitely know that.

From the menu

settings>display settings>video output settings>HDMI>custom>tick 720p or 1080i then enter.

Hopefully this should work.

thanks for the replies...
but no such luck on that one..
from HDMI just get black screen with sound. used RCA cables to get to the menu, changed to HMDI and nothing...
i asked the biggest electronics place here and they said you cant get a PAL capable TV in japan... un-****ing-believable..

why doesn't your set accept 720p or 1080i via hdmi?

I know there is a difference with ps3s that uk ones are 576i/p and that us/jap ones are 480i/p but sounds like the set should accept a higher resolution anyway. I would just set it to 720p as the only supported resolution. Don't use auto. Maybe try disabling 720p and just select 1080i.

Make sure your firmware is upto date. There was some sort of 50/60hz issue I think on an earlier firmware.

Why not link to a translated page of your actual japanese tv. Might have some useful info.

Does ur TV have a "D Terminal" plug like this?
D4_terminal.jpg

If so, get one from any Japanese electronics store, or Amazon.co.jp

See here for more details about D-Terminal, it can output 720P / 1080P... think of D-Termainl like a cross between HDMI and Component for Japan.

thanks for the replies!
banzai77, can i ask.. you're location is london (pal) and you have the photo of a japanese tv (ntsc) and ur pal ps3 can work!?

i have a d terminal at the back but only one. theres a sony branded dterminal cable at tsutaya... im eye balling it! haha..

i went out and got the d terminal cable but still no luck..
a black screen with sound.. went through to the video settings using rca cables selected dterminal then i changed the cable... no luck...

ive accepted defeat.:facepalm:

PAL consoles will traditionally NOT work overseas*(if they do work, there are issues), whereas imported consoles work fine over here, in the UK.
It's been this way since the days of the NES/Master System.

most of their Tv's couldn't do PAL, but our PAL Tv's, can show PAL, PAL60, and NTSC, without major issues, so you would be lucky to get it working..

*- Unless somewhere where PAL is used.

Last edited:
IT ****ING WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks all for the help and banzai77...i could kiss you right now!:smashin:
THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUU

IT ****ING WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks all for the help and banzai77...i could kiss you right now!:smashin:
THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUU

:clap:

Good stuff! I'm glad to be of service!

I don't have a Japanese TV, but my in-laws in Japan do and I've learned that many there prefer D Terminal to HDMI - but I think newer sets like the 3D ones will use HDMI!

I got exactly the same problem using a PAL ps3 + a Japanese toshiba regza tv
and I'm getting the black screen with only sound through HDMI and when I use component cables, I only get black and white image.

So do you think i can fix this with buying a D-Terminal cable?

:lease:

yes, it DEFINITELY fixes the problem. breaks down like this:

1. connect the ps3 to the tv via red, white and yellow RCA cables. turn the system on and hold down the power button until you hear a second beep - this resets the video output. now you should see a "beautiful" aliased black and white picture.
2. go to SETTINGS, DISPLAY SETTINGS, VIDEO OUTPUT SETTINGS. go to COMPONENT/D-TERMINAL and push right. it will come up with a warning, choose CHANGE.
3. now you should have a list of resolutions. choose anything from 720p up and of cos 1080p if ur lucky enough to have a set capable.
4. push right, that will change the output from rca to d-terminal. BUT THIS IS WHERE YOU HAVE TO BE FAST! quickly disconnect the RCA and connect the system using the Dterminal cable. you have 30 seconds to do so (there is a timer counting down to zero that you cant see until its connected via Dterminal)
5. after connecting, now you should see a gorgeous colour HD image but don't stare too long.. that timer will be down to zero soon. choose YES by hitting X…

now you can gawk. process over.

another little snag is that if you had any videos on the HDD that were in PAL format they wont be displayed from now on. need to convert them to NTSC. im in the process of getting half of my movies to ntsc now.

btw, i typed this out once but lost it. so i did it again and if i forgot a step.. sorry! don't think i did though. haha..

good luck!

QUICK QUESTION: are you using an expensive power converter to power the ps3? i read somewhere they have one built in and you dont need one but didnt trust where i read it.

Thank you for the info!!!! I went out to tsutaya and bought the same cable as you, and it works!!!!!! For me, I just needed to plug in the cable and it worked straight away. I guess it's different for every TV.
I gave up hope like 2 months ago. And was about to buy a japanese playstation3. So I just did a last search to make sure there was no way to fix this and saw your post. :thumbsup:

Thank you!!! You saved me buying a new ps3 and the trouble transfer all the data. :clap:

ps. I just bought a normal power court, and it works perfect, no need to buy a converter. It's built in.

No problem man... i wouldnt have got mine working without all the kind people who helped me out!
grrrrr... i bought the transformer just as a precaution and now don;t need it! boooo... waste of 40,000 yen. **** was expensive!! but better to be safe than sorry..
glad you got it working. :thumbsup:
またね!

No problem man... i wouldnt have got mine working without all the kind people who helped me out!
grrrrr... i bought the transformer just as a precaution and now don;t need it! boooo... waste of 40,000 yen. **** was expensive!! but better to be safe than sorry..
glad you got it working. :thumbsup:
またね!

Glad this thread is helping many! :clap:

Why don't you try to sell your expensive transformer in some English online / newspaper ads or Amazon.co.jp marketplace?

Glad this thread is helping many! :clap:

Why don't you try to sell your expensive transformer in some English online / newspaper ads or Amazon.co.jp marketplace?

yeah i thought of that. i think someone who has brought there tv from another country of something could use it, just have to pull the thumb out and advertise it. haha.

Thank you for the info!!!! I went out to tsutaya and bought the same cable as you, and it works!!!!!! For me, I just needed to plug in the cable and it worked straight away. I guess it's different for every TV.
I gave up hope like 2 months ago. And was about to buy a japanese playstation3. So I just did a last search to make sure there was no way to fix this and saw your post. :thumbsup:

Thank you!!! You saved me buying a new ps3 and the trouble transfer all the data. :clap:

ps. I just bought a normal power court, and it works perfect, no need to buy a converter. It's built in.

just wondering with the power issue. i connected it using only the power cable and i get the red light working but am crazy paranoid and check the ps3 sticker and it says "220~240V"... does yours say the same?
i thought it should say "100~240V" like my macs charger does.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom