1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL PS output as 525p??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Messiah, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Does anyone know why my Philips 962SA is outputting PAL PS as 525p. I always thought true PAL PS was 625p.

Is the 962 actually outputting pseudo PAL rather than true PAL PS?

Thanks.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    PAL progressive is 625P with about 576 active lines (576p). Sounds like your Philips is downscaling.

Gordon

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Is this normal for a PAL PS player? I thought the 962 was supposed to be true PAL PS.

Cheers.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
  5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Philips definitely outputs 625p, my Panasonic PT-AE100 shows it as 625p. Where are you seeing it displayed as 525p? Are you sure you haven't got it set up to output NTSC? I think you'll find that if it is the 962SA as hivizone are selling it it will definitely be outputting 625p with PAL material (unless the hack hasn't been done of course) but anyway it shouldn't display as 525p.
    Good luck finding the solution!

Cheers
    Andy

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi Andy

Yep, it's a HiViZone 962 so guess should therefore be outputting 625p. When you say 'set to output NTSC' where is this setting please? BTW, it is my TW100 pj that is showing it as 525p (60).

Thanks.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm not 100% sure but according to the manual in the troubleshooting section it says something about 'the NTSC/PAL switch may be in the wrong status, press the STOP and NEXT buttons simultaneously and keep them pressed while you turn the player ON' . Might be worth trying. I assume the TW100 accepts a 625p signal btw?

Keep me updated ok

Cheers
    Andy

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    To be honest I am not sure but I think I remember seeing 625p on the screen when connected to your player at the shoot out but cannot remember whether that was the AE100 or the TW100. I'll let you know for sure.

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Sorry guys. I posted this not realising that my R1 and R2 Gladiator discs were in the wrong cases so when I thought I was playing the PAL one and getting 525p showing on the pj I was actually playing the R1 disc. needless to say when I play the R2 disc (or indeed any R2 disc) I do indeed get 625p shown as input signal.

I can now sleep easy :D

Thanks.

10. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the risk of hijacking the thread - Although it seems to have run its course. Messiah can I ask a few questions ?

I am going to be getting a PJ soon - not yet decided between TW100, Tosh MT5 & Panny AE100.

I was going to get a philips q50/962 from hivizone. Is the difference noticeable or dramatic with Pal PS ?

Is this complicated by any internal scaling / de-interlacing etc by the PJ ?

It seems that you have researched your purchase well - What made you go for the 962 & TW100 ?

Thanks

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I was going to get a philips q50/962 from hivizone. Is the difference noticeable or dramatic with Pal PS ?

I certainly think so, particularly when you realise how it has improved. To be honest initially I thought "hmmm, not much difference" but when I studied the image in a bit more detail I realised that as well as the additional detail and smoothness (ie no sub-concious flicker) all the shimmering around bright areas etc had disappeared completely. The whole image is just so much smoother and more stable.

Is this complicated by any internal scaling / de-interlacing etc by the PJ ?

Not that I have noticed but of course on the TW100 you can turn off the DCDi function if you wish, although I tend to leave it on auto and it handles things admirably.

It seems that you have researched your purchase well - What made you go for the 962 & TW100 ?

I went for the TW100 after seeing a number of DLPs (couldn't live with the rainbow effect), and a few LCDs. Went along to a mini shootout organised by Shockabuku where we saw the AE100 and TW100 and initially plumped for the AE100. However, due to incorrect throw distances/image sizes (yes, should have done my homework better :p ) I changed it for the TW100 and very glad I did. It has noticeably better resolution/detail and at the image size I am projecting (92" horizontal) almost non-existent screen door. However, I am now planning on converting an extension room above the garage (22' x 17') into the cinema room (it was always intended for this use when built 3 years ago but never made it) so am outing the TW100 ASAP and will be buying CRT when the room is ready in about 3-4 months. I will be living with a 50" plasma in the lounge for the time being.

Why the 962? Really because it is the only player around the £500 mark that does true NTSC and PAL PS and when I saw it at the shootout was gobsmacked by the images it produced. It was oh so close to a HTPC for less money and far less hassle. Have only had it a few days but am very pleased with it. I also have the Tosh SD900E which delivers equaly impressive NTSC PS image (maybe even a little brighter) but only pseudo PAL PS which really does not cut it.

I truly think you will be delighted with the marriage of TW100 and 962. A great set-up :D

12. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info & taking the time to reply.

I might pester you for some more hints & tips when I`m ready to part with the cash.

13. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Never bothered checking what my 962 was ouputting, just plugged it into the PJ and away it went. All the PJ settings are on auto, but looking through the specs it does 480, 575 and 720 prog. No 625p, so how is it doing this, what will it be setting itself to ??

14. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I guess it is the mod that is enabling it and hence why it does not state it in the specs.