1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL Progressive yet?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RedRose, Oct 9, 2004.

1. RedRose

RedRose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, it's been a while. I think it's time to replace my Sony 355 player (which has been absolutely superb) which cost me £355 for something which will play all these new fancy MP3s, DVD -R+R+RW-RW etc. for about £150 tops. (God my head spins at the very thought). I'm even thinking about a DVD recorder but the format wars are VERY confusing.
    Question: Is Progresive scan now commonly available for PAL. I ask because it only used to be available for NeverTwiceSameColo(u)r and dodgy shops would claim Progressive Scan but only for Region 0 NTSC discs. Has anything changed? Thanks.

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Yes, Arcam produced the first completely legit PAL PS player, and PAL PS is now fairly common-place.

Cheers,
    Liam

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    £150 will get you either a panny DMR-E55 recorder see special offers forum...... or the excellent Pioneer 575 DVD player......
    Both PAL PS so really depends if you want recorder or more accomplished player...

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I can recommend the Sony NS585 player. I have had one for a couple of weeks for use with a projector. It has both NTSC and PAL PS, plays mp3's and every type of DVD.

I got a multiregion version from Amazon.co.uk for £99.99. The R2 only version is £88.

5. RedRose

RedRose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thaks for the feedback and the PM. The Sony 930 does look impressive but I feel myself gravitating towards a DVD recorder. So I guess I should switch forums but I wanted to say thanks. BTW - Most sources I've found on the Web seem to imply that the Panny E55 is only Progressive on NTSC (sounds like old times) . Can anyone categorically refute this e.g. have you seen a Plasma display a "625P input" from it?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215