Pal Progressive with Pioneer 565?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by phil5743, Nov 12, 2004.

1. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Having just got a Sony plasma I eagerly connected my Pioneer 565 using QED component cables, but understood the player only supports NTSC prog scan. However, if I enable prog scan when playing PAL DVDs the picture changes dramatically (better clarity and saturation of colour - maybe less smooth movement though - I'm not sure). According to the manual I shouldn't get any picture with prog scan enabled using a non- NTSC source, so is the player converting the PAL to NTSC? Or as my player is multi-region is this why prog scan is working with PAL DVDs? Any explanation would be appreciated.

2. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I just noticed in the manual it says that PAL is output as NTSC progressive - is this just as good then as using a player specifically with PAL prog scan or should I stick with NTSC DVDs only with the 565 when using prog scan?

3. cbemoore

cbemoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I just tried prog scan on my 565 this evening, and had exactly the same results as you! The picture is much sharper and clearer, but movement is REALLY jerky.

The manual states that "When set to Progressive, PAL and NTSC discs are both output as progressive NTSC video".

So I'm assuming that the jerkiness is due to the frame rate conversion from 50Hz to 60Hz.

Interestingly, I also just read this thread, which claims that the 575 doesn't do proper PAL progressive either!
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162597

Chris

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    I don't believe a 575 cannot do PAL progressive. I have used one on a projector and it clearly stated 525P for NTSC and 625P for PAL in the PJ menu.

It does sound like the 565 NTSC is being converted to PAL first though.

5. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    After more experimentation and comparison I definitely think the prog scan PQ is superior to interlace (my 10 year old son also agreed in a blind test!) and the jerkiness only occasionally shows up. It has made me want to get the 575 to get PAL prog scan but the other thread casts doubts on whether this is a good idea if it is not implemented properly in the newer model.