1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL Progressive v RGB SCART

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nheather, May 12, 2005.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,358
    I'm going to get a SD Plasma (NEC VR5) and plan to use my DVD recorder as the player.

I accept that I would get better quality from a dedicated player but we are going for a minimal equipment count.

My DVD Recorder is a Panasonic DMR-E50 which has SCART RGB. The plasma also supports PAL Progressive Scan on composite.

I was considering selling my E50 and buying an E55 or an ES10 so I could use progressive scan. The trade-up will cost £100 or more so I am beginning to wonder whether it is worth it.

I'm pretty ignorant about progressive scan and assume it must be better but have no idea whether this is true.

How much improvement am I likely to see and in your opinion is it worth the £100? (Basically, if it were your money would you trade up?)

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi,

I think you mean that the plasma supports progressive over Component (not composite which is the basic level of video signal input and pretty rubbish).

I believe you'll see a major improvement in upgrading to a Component video input from your DVD recorder to your plasma. Whether you will see much improvement in upgrading from an interlaced component signal to a progressive type is debateable. Conventional wisdom of the forums here have stated that progressive plasma displays will de-interlace an incoming signal anyway and so in many situations you may find that the plasma display does a better job of producing a progressive signal than the circuits in the DVD player/recorder would be capable of.

I've pretty much come to the same conclusion myself with my own equipment (37" Viera TH-37PE30 & DMR-E500). The leap in quality from dropping RGB-SCART and upgrading to component was fairly significant and I was impressed. However, when looking at differences in picture quality between my DVD recorder with an interlaced output and progressive output, in reality I find that the progressive output of the E500 actually looks worse when compared to the interlaced output. So it looks like in my case the Viera is better at de-interlacing a picture than the E500 is.

In summary: use Component it will be better, then try progressive output on and off and see what you think looks best. Don't be surprised if it's not progressive though.

S.

3. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With all plasma displays I have seen, there is great improvment using PS component instead of RGB scart, trade it.

4. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,358
    Steve_P and EN

Yes I did mean Component not Composite.

So I am comparing RGB SCART with PAL Progressive on Component.

Do your comments still hold?

Cheers,

Nigel

5. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My english is not so good. So, I will make it in order:
    1. RGB scart
    2. Component with PS.

To me 2. is always beter.

When I tested some plasmas nad PJs I have noticed that not every DVD player can handle great quality over PS component, it comes with the price.
    I tested some HDD-DVD recorders higher end of the prices and they did well.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Hello all

Nigel - I'm not as convinced as the others seem to be that the Panasonic DVD-R with Progressive YUV Out is the best way to go.

If your NEC is not compatible with the RGB+Composite sync signals being output by your DMR-E50 then I'd consider a JS Technology RGB2YUV or RGB2VGA converter between your current DVD-R and the Display.

I've had a fair few folk on asking how they can overcome the 'soft' image they get via the YUV out from these Panasonic DVD recorders.

Most Plasma Displays are inherently 'Progressive' devices so every Interlaced input signal is converted to Progressive anyway - the potential 'advantage' of a Source device that can Output a Progressive signal being that it may be better at it than the processing in the Display.

Best regards

Joe

7. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe,
    I overcome soft image of Panasonic dvd recorder and plasmas simply not buying them.
    But even with Panasonic image I 've noticed better detail wih Panasonic 500 recorder.