1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL progressive scan

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Peter Levy, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Peter Levy

Peter Levy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to home theatre and trying to put a system together. Everywhere I read talks about progressive scan and its advantages. However, from what I can see, most progressive scan equipment is biased towards NTSC and not PAL.

I am looking at the InFocus LS110 projector that handles 480p and 720p but not 575p. Does this mean that I cannot take advantage of progressive scan technology with this projector or can I purchase a 480p progressive scan DVD player with PAL/NTSC convserion and play PAL DVD's and output them in 480p format ?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Peter,

PAL progressive or 576p(625p) as it tends to be known is not supported by all fixed pixel devices just now as you have noted. This is because there has not been a standard for copyprotection ratified by the DVD consortium for use with this output signal. Until this happens it's difficult for DVD player manufacturers to build machines which output such a signal.

Having said that there are a few models that do and there are plenty of off board video processors that do too. Unfortunately the short sightedness of many projector and plasma manufcturers means you can't always benefit from this. It sounds like your chosen device is one of those that can't.

I believe there are a couple of DVD players from the far east that have the ability to donwscale the PAL signal to NTSC and output it progressively. I have never tested such a device though so can't comment on whether it introduces more artifacts than it fixes.

You may want to consider getting a scaler that outputs 720P from NTSC and PAL as a possible solution....

Gordon

3. Peter Levy

Peter Levy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon

Thanks for the information.

Further to my quest for a solution, I spoke to a local Denon dealer today who claimed that the DVD-2800 outputs progressive scan in both NTSC and PAL formats and that if I set my projector to 720p format it will sync on the PAL 625p format and display it OK. I would like to believe this but something tells me that if this were true, it would be publicised a bit more. Also, I have been told elsewhere that the DVD-2800 only outputs progressive scan in 480p format.

Have you come across this before or is it even possible ?

Has anyone else out there got PAL progressive out of a Denon DVD-2800

Peter

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    The DVD2800 can have a hacked firmware revision loaded on to it to allow PAL prog playback. Our dem unit has such a mod.

1280x720P @ 60Hz is nowhere near 720 x 576 @ 5oHz.....I don't know of any fixed pixel devices that would confuse the two. CRT's with high enough bandwidth, it's not an issue. It is with LCD's though. It could be that your projector has the ability to lock to 576P and it's just not written in the specs. I'd try and take the projector along to your dealer to confirm it'll work.

Gordon

5. Peter Levy

Peter Levy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,

Once again, thanks for the reply.

I know that the Infocus LS110 projector can be firware upgraded. Have you come across software hacks for projectors that allow them to support modes they currently do not support eg 625p in the case of the Infocus LS110 ?

Should I be looking at another projector ?

Peter:confused:

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Peter

My Panasonic pt-ae100 handbook has no mention of it being compatible with pal progressive, but as many of us have found out, it will promptly display 625p when fed a progressive pal signal.
    You never know, the Infocus may except pal progressive, they just dont advertise it.
    Isn't the Toshiba MT-5 the same as the LS110, if so, maybe you could check out the spec's on the Toshiba.

Gordon

How well does the Denon 2800 cope with the opening of ST Insurrection?
    It looked dreadful from my Lecson dvd-1000, which has now been returned.
    I am now on the look out for a new progressive player.
    Have you seen any player's incorperating the Sage DCDi chip, if so what did you think?

Sorry to hijack the thread :blush:

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Tim,

The DVD2800 is pretty good with Insurrection from memory, as you would expect from a SIL chipped unit. I have seen the SKYWORTH at the Event and at home for a while as well. It has the Sage chipset. For the money it was great but it was soft and lacking colour detail compared to the Arcam it was played against at the Event, IMHO.

Gordon

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Gordon

Thanks, it's nice to here people's personnel oppinion's.
    The Arcam would be nice :) but it's in 4 figures :(
    I am waiting to hear on people's comment's on the Nintaus from China, it uses's the Sage chip.

9. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Tim
    I know it costs loads,but FYI the new Tag de-interlacer outputs pal progressive.
    You can also input your video, sky box etc,and it will output them pal pro as well.
    Regards
    Simon