1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL PRogressive Scan - Is It Worth It?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by /\/\j17, Jul 7, 2003.

1. /\/\j17

/\/\j17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm at the point of buying a new 'TV' - not sure about CRT or Plasma yet, but I want to get the best image boost I can for my buck.

Now everyone is raving about Progressive scan, but most manufactuerers don't make a distinction between PAL and NTSC even when they have sister modles with different support (eg: Pioneer 433HDE/MXE).

Stores are also doing a really bad job of selling it. I live in London and it's taken me 4 weeks to actually see a display showing a progressiv scan picture. I can't believe the number of places trying to sell me a PS DVD player and a PS display be demoing them with either a RGB Scart or even in some cases composit connections!

Anyway, I digress.

The few people I have met who seemed to know what they were talking about said NTSC DVD's looked noticable better, but the difference was much less noticable with PAL disks - one salesman actually said he didn't like the picture PAL PS gave you (in his personal opinion).

So... should I make sure my display can take both PAL and NTSC or is PAL not really worth streatching an extra 500->1000 quid for/the hastle of connecting everything up sans-tuner in the case of the Pioneer 433MXE monitor Plasma?

Hope that made some sense and doesn;t get asked every 5 minutes - couldn't find anything.

Cheers,

/\/\j17

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The reasons for PS PAL are just as relevant as NTSC, however if the displays down scales PS PAL to 480p then it isn't going to look great.

3. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can only echo that. When you see a proper progressive scan picture (be it NTSC or PAL) than it is great!!! And well worth it.
    If the display can not support it natively it may or may not be of your taste. Though to put it in context, that same display would not be able to produce a interlaced picture without scaling!!!!
    So in order to keep with the standards go for a display that can do at least 576p and thus stay clear of the displays that can't go higher than 480....

Cheers,

JP