PAL Progressive Scan DVD Player Advice Needed

plague1392

Ex Member
Reaction score
I’ve recently had a Sony KZ-42TS1 plasma screen imported and so was after a progressive scan DVD player. I was after one which supports 2:3 pull-down and PAL progressive scan as well as NTSC.

I was considering the modified Pioneer DV747 from Techtronics here.

Or the Denon DV2800G. Will both of these players be suitable for my purpose? Is the Pioneer worth the extra? TBH, I’ve never actually heard of Denon (don’t they make yoghurts).

Also what’s this Tag de-interlacer I’ve seen mentioned a few times that apparently de-interlaces any input source? Does anybody have a link or a price? I’d much rather have something that converted everything to progressive scan, but I wouldn’t want to pay over a grand, which it no doubt will be. If it is over £1000 are there any other similar products that are cheaper?

Finally, will there be any problems displaying a progressive scan PAL signal on my Sony KZ-42TS1?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I’ve got a bit confused as to what I want. I thought it would be just a matter of buying a progressive scan DVD player but after reading around the forum it seems it’s a bit more complicated than that, so I’d be very grateful for any help you can offer.

Thanks a lot

Plague1392

OK,

For high quality de-interlacing of film based NTSC material 2:3 detection is worthwhile. For PAL film based material you'll want a device with 2:2 detection. The DVD2800 has this. Don't know about 747.

TAG's de-interlacing solution fits inside their DVD players and is retro fittable in their upcoming 192 pre-amp I believe.

If you want a low cost solution then look at the Omega1 de-interlacer or Vigatec FX2 or the Silicon Image Iscan. Iscan is within your budget the other two may be slightly over.

You will need to check with Sony as to whether that plasma model will sync to a PAL progressive signal.

Gordon

Thanks a lot for the help. I think rather than spend a lot on a PAL/NTSC DVD player I’d rather have de-interlacer that I could use to get digital TV and my games consoles in progressive scan. I’ll have a look into the three you suggested.

Thanks again

Plague1392

I spent a while looking at the three devices you suggested. All of the information I found on the Vigatec FX2 was in German, but I did find a price of 2,240 Euros which, like you say, is a bit above my budget. I can’t actually find anything on the Omega1 de-interlacer.

AT £650 the Silicon Image Iscan is definitely more around what I was looking at spending, but there’s a number of things I’m still not entirely sure what I’d be buying. I’d like to connect the following devices through the de-interlacer:

US NTSC PS2
US NTSC Gamecube
Pioneer ITV Digital Box
DVD Player (currently have a Pioneer DV545S but may replace it soon)

The Xbox supports progressive scan anyway so it wouldn’t have to go through the Iscan. The problem is all of them use RGB SCART connectors, apart from the Gamecube which is S-Video. How would I connect them all to the Silicon Image Iscan (preferably at the same time)?

It looks like the Iscan is just designed to connect a DVD player and I couldn’t connect the ITV Digital box or the other stuff, though I could be wrong as I don’t have a clue what I’m talking about :) If there’s any way I could get everything in progressive scan for around £1000 I’d be very grateful to hear it. If not I might be better going back to just getting a progressive scan DVD player.

I thought I was fairly into my audio visual equipment until I came here. I’m completely out of my depth and I think I’ll go and cry in the corner :)

Plague1392

Hi,

The Iscan has three inputs, component video, s-video and composite video. With all the kit that you have you're going to have to do a lot of switching around. You should put the Iscan between your av amplifier and your plasma display with the video outputs all being connected to the Iscan.

The iscan isn't equipped to handle scart rgb, although you might be able to pass it thru the Iscan if it has a pass thru connector...although your plasma display might not be able to handle it either.

I'd be tempted to buy a dvd player with a component output and send that to the Iscan. If your looking to buy an av amp, then I'd consider one that has component video switching as well.

If the ITV digital box has a s-video output use that ... or you could convert the ITV digital from rgb to s-video.

Another alternative would be to look at the Quadscan which has more inputs.

The Omega 1 and the Vigatec are essentially the same device with different badges. It's a de-interlacer like the Iscan except it uses the Faroudja/sage chipset so it's video de-interalcing is pretty neat. It is also a video switcher having 3 or 4 composite or s-video inputs, an RGBSync input or possibly two and a component input. Need to check exact numbers.

The UK price for VIg is supposed to be £1400. I believe I can source Omega1'S for considerably less.

I'd prefer it if you could email me with the exact sources and their best output's (ie rgbcomposite sync, YPrPb etc) as well as whetehr you have a learning remote...then I can try and work out best solution and costs.

Gordon

Unfortunately I don't think the Sony KZ-42TS1 has a separate AV box (there's details on it here). I haven't actually received it yet, and was hoping to have everything progressive scan by the time it got here. I've realised that I don't really know what I need though and I might be better waiting until the screen arrives.

The separate AV box seems like a good idea (probably should have got a screen with a separate av box is the first place). I don't suppose you could recommend one that I could connect all my stuff to and then connect that to the Iscan, which I could then connect to the screen?

I've been trying to find one myself and I was looking at the Pioneer VSX-D510S and the Thompson DPL2000 which are both around £300, though I'm not sure they're what I want. If they are suitable that would be £300 would be £650 which would leave me money for cables. I'm probably looking at the wrong stuff entirely though.

Thanks again for all your help. I wouldn't have got anywhere with out your help. At least now I've got some idea of what I need and know some product models that do the job.

Plague1392

Sorry Gordon, didn't see your message until the page refreshed when I posted. I'll check what everything can output email you when I get home tonight.

I'm extremely grateful for all your help.

Plague1392

>I was considering the modified Pioneer DV747 from Techtronics here.

Many people have burned themselves with Techtronics. Be wary if buying from them.

Pioneer DV-747 has been reported to drop frames on PAL progressive with some companies pal prog hacks. I don't know which companies though (there are many around).

Also, be aware that DV-747A has a chroma upsampling error and it will not de-interlace (make progressive) video flagged material.

>Or the Denon DV2800G. Will both of these players be suitable for my

Denon DVD-2800 has been very problematic in PAL progressive: skips, stutters and loses synch on audio.

Some say the later batches work ok, but I can't confirm that as I have only tested units from last year.

If it didn't stutter, drop frames and lose audio, this is the one I'd recommend.

>purpose? Is the Pioneer worth the extra? TBH, I’ve never actually >heard of Denon (don’t they make yoghurts).

For Video Denon will outperform the Pioneer unit on progressive (NTSC or PAL).

>Also what’s this Tag de-interlacer I’ve seen mentioned a few times >that apparently de-interlaces any input source? Does anybody have a >link or a price? I’d much rather have something that converted

From £3 000 - £4 000 depending if you choose the front loading or top loading DVD player from Tag with it.

Also, it does the de-interlacing after analog conversion, which I consider technically a bad thing.

I haven't seen the unit myself (not available where I live), but I'd assume that if it's anywhere near Tags normal performance, it will be very good indeed.

>grand, which it no doubt will be. If it is over £1000 are there any other >similar products that are cheaper?

If you want just a de-interlacer box that takes a feed from your video source (like DVD player) and makes it progressive, then you want IScan Pro (should be available for under £1000).

>Finally, will there be any problems displaying a progressive scan PAL >signal on my Sony KZ-42TS1?

I'm not convinced it will synch to 576P (PAL Progressive) as the specs only list: 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i video modes.

You should really try with a PAL progressive source to be sure.

cheers,
Halcyon

PS Did you know that your plasma already does NTSC progressive by itself?

I didn’t actually know the plasma did progressive by itself until Gordon told me. I was going to buy a de-interlacer so it’s lucky somebody told me. I think it’s the US version which only supports 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i video modes. I’ve ordered the European model from Germany which supports PAL so I’m hoping it supports 576P. If not all my games consoles are American anyway and most of my DVDs are NTSC so it won’t matter that much.

I’ll definitely avoid the Pioneer when I replace my DVD player. I think I’m going to stick with my Pioneer DV545 for now and see how that performs with the TV before I replace it.

Can’t wait for the screen to arrive. I’ll update you with how everything worked out when it gets here.

Thanks again

Plague1392

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom