PAL progressive + DVD-A + SACD for under £300?

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just put my DV88+ up for sale, because as much as I love its performance, imho a £1000 player should offer DVD-A and SACD for that price, and I'm in the midst of downgrading anyway:suicide:

I have a tall order to fulfill, and I don't think I can do it unless someone can tell me otherwise...

I'm looking for a cheap PAL progressive player which does DVD-Audio and SACD also.

At first glance the Pio 565a looks stunning, but the lack of PAL progressive has really put me off (despite the price, I'm not sure I could compromise this?).

The other options I've looked at include:

HK DVD25 £250 PAL progressive, but no DVD-audio nor SACD
HK DVD30 £330 PAL progressive, DVD-Audio but no SACD
Toshiba SD530E £??? PAL progressive, DVD-Audio + SACD too?

Couple of questions:

Is £330 a good price for a brand new DVD30?
Is PAL progressive as bad as I've heard on the Toshiba SD530?
Which other models should be considered?

cheers
Matt

PS Has anyone heard/seen that new Limit 900 player?

cheers
Matt

If you can live without DVD-A then the Sony DVP930 at £222 has everything else you are after.

Might also be worth checking out the Marantz DV6400 - I'm not sure if it does PAL progressive though and not many people are selling it yet.

Matt.

What are you plugging it into Matt?

There are increasingly better deinterlacers in projectors nowadays that obviate the need for a progressive scan player.

I have a Denon 3800 which spend much of its time just putting out straight interlaced into the Faroudja scaler in my projector.

Many projectors now come with Faroudja technology built in, and even some of the proprietary solutions from some projector manufacturers are light years ahead of how they used to be.

Just thought I'd suggest this, as I often think of switching my progressive player for a non-prog one that does SACD too.

Regards,

Ian Guinan

Smurfin's using the player with a Sanyo Z1, which I'm pretty sure has no internal image de-interlacer.

My own suggestion was trying to do this in two players. For example, Toshiba 530 handing picture & DVD-A and a Sony 730 handling SACD. But then of course arises the problem of finding a receiver with two EXT inputs - which is currently the reserve of Sony's efforts.

Originally posted by Dimmy
Smurfin's using the player with a Sanyo Z1, which I'm pretty sure has no internal image de-interlacer.

My own suggestion was trying to do this in two players. For example, Toshiba 530 handing picture & DVD-A and a Sony 730 handling SACD. But then of course arises the problem of finding a receiver with two EXT inputs - which is currently the reserve of Sony's efforts.

Correct on the projector front. Two players - whilst feasible - seems a bit daft: add the cost together and you likely end up with the same cost as getting a more expensive player.

Any views on the Toshiba?

Originally posted by Smurfin
Two players - whilst feasible - seems a bit daft: add the cost together and you likely end up with the same cost as getting a more expensive player.

:laugh: - the most obvious statement I'm yet to read on these forums :D.

There isn't a more 'expensive' player with SACD/DVD-A and PAL Progressive that comes within £300. The sum of the two I suggested falls quite a bit under £300. Although it's still unfeasible anyway - the whole EXT problem..

Originally posted by Dimmy

Of course it has an internal deInterlacer, just like any other (modern) PJ. It's more a matter of quality.

The built-in deinterlacer of the Sanyo has no film mode, so you end up with jaggies and moiré when feeding it with interlaced signals.

So a DVD Player with better deinterlacing is required.

The cheapest way of combining DVD-A with SACD and excellent progressive output in one box is the Denon DVD 2200, which still costs significantly more than the machines mentioned here.

The Toshiba is not too famous for its deinterlacing abilities. Both H/Ks offer goog deinterlacing, the Sony DVP NS 930 is almost perfect when it comes to film mode deinterlacing.

To be honest, I'd go for the Sony. Remember, a DVD-A still has a multichannel track in DD or dts, which already sounds great. So you're able to listen to all the Multi Channel tracks out there, only lacking the MLP encoded tracks of DVD-A with the higher resolution. But it's still multi channel and sounds great IMO.

I'm also running the combination of Sony DVP NS 930 and Sanyo Z1, and the PQ is really stunning.

Still got some reviews for you:

http://www.areadvd.de/english/denon_dvd_2200.shtml
http://www.areadvd.de/english/harmankardon_dvd-30_e.shtml

HTH,
Gomez

Thanks, I've done a part exchange with Arcam Dv88+ for a Philips 963a. No DVD-A but it does everything else...

Matt,

good choice. Almost forgot the Philips. :) Offers HQ deinterlacing and good SACD skills. As I've said before, I prefer a SACD-only machine due to the DD and dts tracks that come with a DVD-A.

Also has nice building, the display is the only thing I don't like (no dot-matrix).

ATB

Gomez

Originally posted by Smurfin
Thanks, I've done a part exchange with Arcam Dv88+ for a Philips 963a. No DVD-A but it does everything else...

Can you tell us how you fiind the philips? It is any good?

Not got it yet, but I'll let you know at the weekend.

Oooh the Sony 930 spec looks good and not bad @239, anyone know what picture quality is like compared to HK25. Just ordered my Z2 today - oh the exceitement. Keen to pair with nice progressive DVD player <300.

I know it dosen't have SACD, (I'm not that borthered), but does the Marantz DVD4300 support PAL & NTSC progressive, as I notice on Superfi.co.uk it states that it does, but I've also seen posts here stating that it does only for NTSC. Now totally confused.

There's an update for the Marantz DV 4300 which enables Pal Progressive Scan for older units. New units should arrive with PPS already enabled.

But mate, you've just spent a bunch of money on the amazing Sanyo Z2 with DVI- why don't you go for a Pio 668 or any other high quality DVI/HDMI capable player?

Of course it's more expensive, but it's well worth the extra money, you get the best results.

Cheers
Gomez

Gomez

I am getting a AE500 and am myself looking for a new DVD player.
Are you saying that the Pioneer 668 can connect to the DVI input on the PJ somehow. I understand it has HDMI, but is there some kind of DVI to HDMI cable!
Otherwise can you suggest a good player that outputs to DVI :)

Cheers,
Goggs

DVI is the video part of HDMI. The other part of HDMI is high resolution audio, up to 8 channels IIRC. So the formula would be:

HDMI = DVI + Audio

There are HDMI to DVI cables available, that's not the problem. But there still are problems with the copyright protection (called HDCP) and the compatibility between PJ and DVDP.

For instance, there are some combinations of Sanyo Z2 and Pio 668 which work, and there are others which don't work!

So until now, it is necessary to try it out in advance. Maybe take your PJ and drive to your next dealer to connect the DVDP, and then buy this unit.

A player with brilliant DVI output is the Marantz DV 8400, but a bit expensive... :blush:

Cheaper alternatives are the Yamakawa 365 and the Samsung 935. The Yamakawa is reported to make a nice image, if you keep the price in mind (~165 Euros).

Cheers
Gomez

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom