1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL Progressive All in one recommendation ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ste_d73, Dec 13, 2004.

1. ste_d73

ste_d73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi....My 1st post so be gentle...!!
    I have a "Tiny 4200" 42inch plasma which offers progressive scanning. I take this to mean it will accept a progressive image on it's component inputs.

I want to buy a home cinema all in one and was initially interested in the SCHT870 panasonic. However further investigation revealed that this model only offers prog scan compatability with NTSC discs. No good to me as I require PAL progressive scan for playing back my REGION 2 discs.

According to a reputable a/v mag the reason that players such as the SCHT870 only offer NTSC Progressive scan is that it is only a fairly recent development that prog scan for PAL DVD has been ratified by Macrovision who control anti piracy measures.

I obviously want to be able to get the best possible picture onto my display by using the component inputs. Can someone please recommend a ALL IN ONE that offers component outputs that are PAL progressive.
    Thanks in advance.
    Steve :laugh:

2. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Denon DHT-500SD does, i think! :)

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Toshiba SD44Hk - What Hifi are raving about this little £250 beauty in their latest issue! Reckon the picture quality is superb.

4. ste_d73

ste_d73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for taking the time to reply....will check out the Tosh!! :D

5. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might want to check through the forums, I think there are reliability issues with the Tosh. I'd have to side with Judders on the Denon since I have one. It does do progressive PAL and sounds much better than my mate's high end Sony. (even he agrees with that).

6. ste_d73

ste_d73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers 4 that. I've been looking some more and the JVC THS8 & THS9 look good. Agree that the Denon looks tops, but is a bit out of my budget. :hiya:

7. Kier

Kier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  8. nogimmix

nogimmix
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Kier,

Just how good is the Pioneer HC-53 (Picture/Sound etc)?
    I've noticed it has 4 RGB Scart connectors.

I'm looking to upgrade from my current system (Panasonic SCHT500) and I want to connect Sky+ and Xbox via optical.

:)

9. Kier

Kier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nothing touches the HC-53 in its price range. The DV-470 DVD player is top notch and the VSX-C402 amp is extremely capable.

The only component that is not so great is the speaker package, but when I say that I'm speaking from a very high level of expectation, and the S-V50 speakers you get with the HC-53 outclass the vast majority of speakers available in packages at this price range (and quite a way beyond in some cases).

However, as the package is essentially a bundle of separates, should you find the speakers to be below par (which I doubt you will to be honest) then you have all the necessary connections and amplification to upgrade at a later date to just about any speakers you choose. The same can't be said for the vast majority of one-box solutions.

The receiver has three optical inputs and a single coaxial, so connections won't be a limiting factor. The picture and sound quality are very good considering the price for which this system can be bought.

I'd recommend askdirect as a supplier who offer a very good level of service and one of the lowest prices around.
    AskDirect HC-53-S (silver)
    AskDirect HC-53-K (black)

10. nogimmix

nogimmix
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Kier, thanks for the info, I ordered today from AskDirect and it will be delivered tomorrow.

I'll look forward to setting it up and letting you know what I think (which I'm sure will be very positive).

11. Kier

Kier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Give the speakers a couple of days to wear in before you pass judgement on them - they sound quite harsh right out of the box, but after proper setup and some time playing they settle down nicely.

12. nogimmix

nogimmix
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Kier, it arrived today, looks fantastic.

One problem though, I've got both my dvd and Sky+ connected via Optical but only Sky+ comes up as digital.
    Do I really need coaxial for dvd?

Any other tips would be helpful as I'm bit of a newbie when it comes to home cinema. :)

13. Kier

Kier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, to connect Sky+ and a DVD you need to connect the DVD via coax. One of these will do the job nicely:

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/...old-pgd481-digital-coaxial-cable/display.html

As for settings, I'd switch midnight mode on permanently (try it to hear the difference), and then switch between Prologic II Movie or Prologic II Music depending on the source (if Dolby Digital or DTS is not available).

I'd also stress that it's worth setting up the speaker delays carefully, and that borrowing an SPL meter from someone so you can accurately set the levels for each speaker will improve your sound hugely.

For speaker placement, head to dolby.com and you'll find some very helpful speaker layout guides too.

14. nogimmix

nogimmix
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    We'll yesterday I actually ordered a coax, an advanced xbox scart and 2 Optical leads from Audiovisualonline and thankfully they arrived today (big thumbs up to those guys).

Got everything properly connected and now my Sky+, DVD and Xbox are all running in digital :D
    Played a few games on the Xbox and the surrounds sound is amazing, going to watch LOTR ROTK later on, hopefully that will test the system.

Again Kier thanks for all the help.

I fully recommend this Home Cinema system.

15. Kier

Kier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm about to put ROTK on myself - that 4 hour monster will be a great way to pass the time until Christmas :D

Glad to hear you're enjoying your system, and if you think it sounds nice now, just wait until the speakers wear in properly :)