1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL Progessive Scan - The Truth is out there

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by RumJoe, Sep 3, 2004.

1. RumJoe

RumJoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Esteemed AV Experts!,

I am buying a Loewe Aconda 9381 HD and need to decide on a DVD player to get to go with it. I was thinking of going with one which has PAL Progressive scan as i understand the picture is much better. My question to you is - can the Aconda HD/DR+ display Prog. Scan feeds? I know the tube is High Def and that the TV has a fair few bells and whistles but havent been able to get a definitive answer on the prog. scan issue. I even called a Loewe dealer earlier and he wasnt even sure.
    I've heard that you need to install the VGA upgrade to get prog scan working but that thread was regarding the old ZW living model and also stated that there is max res of 680x480. Can this be right?

Obviously, if prog. scan on the tele turned out to be a reality, I would need a decent Component Video cable - any recommendations?

Any pointers would be greatly received, and remember, be excellent to each other.

Thanks.

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    No I do not believe so. You can send a component signal input via the RGB socket but it will not take a prog scan signal.. but I doubt you would notice the difference.

I have a Thomson 32" progscan TV. I can either send a progscan signal to the TV, or a interlaced component and them apply prog scan processing to that.. both pictures to me look the same..(i.e brill)

Cheers

Matt

3. Moo242

Moo242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It accepts compoent via the QED AV29 component to scart lead but the difference between that and a good scart to scart is minimal. Prog scan on a 32" CRT is hardly a noticable improvement to be honest though

All top-end Loewe's however have a VGA board upgrade option which with the right input source (i.e. a PC/media box) look quite lovely

See my post in the Plasma Vs CRT thread for my thoughts on my new Articos.

FWIW, I run Pioneer DV-575 through my Articos using the above lead and it looks lubberly :thumbsup: