PAL Prog Scan upgrade for Toshiba SD520

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BigRD, Jul 11, 2003.

1. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Does anyone know if there's an upgrade to allow the Toshiba SD520 to play PAL progressive?

This machine gets a geat write up from lots of different sources and it's only £179.95 at RS. So it would round it off nicely and match my TV perfectly. Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    BigRD

Toshiba 32ZP38, Sony STRDB930, Toshiba SD230, Samsung 709, Panasonic NV-HD685, Sony GV-D800E, B&W 602s, B&W CC6, Mordaunt Short MSW20

Work to live don't live to work

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Forget it....
    I have the 510 and hassled Toshiba about a pal prog upgrade, but they cannot provide one, its not possible with the hardware on board, I believe the 520 is similer.

3. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks Tim,

I'd thought about buying one but I'll not bother if that's the case:(

I've just bought the TV so I'd like a PAL PS player to go with it. No point in just going for an NTSC only model.

I like the idea of the KiSS DP500 with the ethernet connectivity but am not convinced the picture quality would be as good as the likes of the Toshiba (TBH I haven't seen one in operation). I suppose it's early days in its life yet and the DP550 & 600 are supposed to be launched soon.

I assume your using the NTSC PS on your 510 so can you tell me if you noticed a considerable improvement in picture quality. I can stick to my new SD230 for a few months or so until more PAL PS models appear.

Cheers,

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Yes, i use progressive NTSC on my Panasonic AE100 lcd projector, there is a big jump in picture quality when using progressive scan but then again the de-interlacer in the AE100 is pretty poor, hence the advantage of progressive scan. On a recent test with my 510 on a Sanyo plv-30 projector, the progressive scan was only slightly better than interlaced, because the plv-30 has a superior de-interlacer than my projector.
    Yamaha have just released a pal prog player the dvd-s540 here and I believe Toshiba are releasing the sd-530 which may be progressive pal.
    Make sure your tv does progressive pal as some progressive scan tv's only do NTSC progressive.

5. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks again Tim,

My TV supports PAL & NTSC PS. It's the new Toshiba 32ZP38 Picture Frame 2 :D

I'm very interested in the new Yamaha it looks a stonker of a player but I'm in no hurry though so I'll wait and see what the new Tosh 530's like.

Regards