1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pal Prog Scan - Arcam FMJ27/88 v Tosh SD900E - which is better?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JUST BRING IT, May 31, 2002.

Tags:
  1. JUST BRING IT

JUST BRING IT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm willing to get either of these DVD players, but WANT Pal Prog Scan for my Plasma display!

is it worth shelling out the extra notes for the Arcam 27\28 (1600\1300) or is the Tosh 900 just as good (£699).

Want good Music playback also.

What is a good Amp/speaker combi for this lot also?

I was thinking Arcam AVR200/Denon 3802/the New Onkyo? (not too bothered about 6.1).

with KEF eggs (2050) Sat - sub combi.

Any thoughts before I commit my cash?

Muchos thanks,

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Friend of mine was knocked out by a Arcam demo of the dv88 with the AVR200 ... better than anything else that he'd heard so far ...

if you've got the cash the extra for the dv27 is generally thought to be worth it ...

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +828
    Hi

The Toshiba doesnt do PAL progressive scan. It downconverts PAL to NTSC for progressive output.

The Arcam FMJ27 can do PAL Progressive as well as NTSC Progressive but PAL Prog Scan has to be "enabled".

If you´re not fussed about 6.1 then the Arcam 200 seems a logical choice, especially if you´re after a musical amp.

I would´nt pair the Kef Eggs with it though, they´re not bad speakers by any means but the Arcam amp & dvd player deserve something better if you´re to get the most out of them.

Speaker recommendations will depend on what budget you´ve got.

cheers

4. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Arcam and B&W *do*go well together ... but then I'm probably a little biased now ... but did make my purchases based on lots of listening !!

5. JUST BRING IT

JUST BRING IT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "The Toshiba doesnt do PAL progressive scan. It downconverts PAL to NTSC for progressive output. "

JASE - is there much in it between pure Pal prog and Pal to NTSC prog?

is it worth the extra notes?

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +828
    I´ve not got a TV that can accept a progressive scan signal so cant comment. But from feedback on this forum the NTSC to PAL Prog conversion is not very good. There was rumour of a modification that enabled "proper" PAL prog, but it seems no more than web talk.

The new Toshiba 950 can do PAL prog scan apparently (I stress, apparently!!)

You´d be better off buying a player that can do them both properly to be honest and that would be the Arcam or the Denons, the 2800 could do it with a firmware mod, so theres no reason to assume the 2800 MK 2 or the 3800 cant be modified either.

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +828
    Heres some info that I´ve copied and pasted from an earlier post by forum member Snowman.

"Hi all

The Tosh will output prog scan for R2 but is does it badly and its not true PAL prog scan. It down converts R2 to R1 to output it. Something very perculiar happens every 20 seconds or so, a slight glitch in the film is apparent like a single frame has been removed from the scene. Not very pleasent at all and very noticable.

There was once a story on this and many other forums about a magical mystical cd rom that could be entered into the player and it done a firmware upgrade to enable true pal prog scan but it has never surfaced and if it was for real it would have turned up by now. And anyway I sure it would require a hardware upgrade as well.

Dont let this put you off this is a cracking player and for £700 is a star buy, as Im sure your aware and have done all your research and read the reviews.
    The only player at the moment I would trust to do Pal prog scan is the Arcam DV27. The Pioneer 747A is getting some average reviews as being a good all rounder but not stunning."

cheers

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's always the Philips 962SA at about £600 (inc shipping/duty), PAL progressive , SACD, Faroudja chipset, worth considering (certainly better option than the 900E in my opinion)

Cheers
    Andy

9. brlaw

brlaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you seen any reviews for the Philips 962SA ? I haven't found anything online that reviews this.....

10. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got the Arcam FMJ DV27 and there's quite a significant difference with PAL progressive output.

Definately worth the money when hooked upto a projector.

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you get the KEF eggs, get a receiver with variable crossover, Denon or Onkyo...

I would rather get KEF 4 Q1 + 1 Q9 + REL subwoofer...

Also think Arcam DVDs are your best bet for sound and PAL progressive high quality...