Pal Prog load of bollix?

Bob Todd

Ex Member
Reaction score
This forum seems to be overun with progressive scan monkeys, I know what it is now but is the picture really that much better then normal?

if so how much.

and is it worth the cost of a PS TV and DVD player?

do a search and you will actually see snaps of the actual difference
soon you too will be sold to progresive

Originally posted by The Ironduke
This forum seems to be overun with progressive scan monkeys, I know what it is now but is the picture really that much better then normal?

if so how much.

Well I paid about 550 quid for my pal prog player, with SACD playback, I could have paid about 150 quid less if I had bought it without SACD playback.

That puts an imported player at about 400 quid vs a decent non prog player at around 350 quid, so only about 50 quid in it.

Most people who have done the comparison, confirm an improvement with PS using a decent player.

As to wether its worth a PS TV, hmm not sure but get a PJ and be very happy :D :D

PAL PS is the holy grail at the moment, but its your cash and 50 quid buys 5 extra DVDs.

Originally posted by The Ironduke

if so how much.

Jesus you sound like one of the borg!

:eek:

To be absolutely fair and objective - YES it is definitely worth doing. However, I am speaking as one who uses a Projector. My guess is that is gets much less worthwhile, the smaller your screen. I doubt I'd see any significant difference on, say, a 24 inch TV.

oo oo oo oo ahh ahh ahh ahh I'm a progressive scan monkey.
Using a projector without progressive scan (either from a PC, a ProV type box or an in-bult unit) and you can't get much bigger than a 6 foot image viewed 10 feet away before you can REALLY see the scan lines (i.e. jagglies).
With a progressive scan unit - I use a home cinema PC - I can get an 8 foot wide image viewed from 10 foot away and it's a smooth as silk. Spectacular.

Originally posted by nigel
I doubt I'd see any significant difference on, say, a 24 inch TV.

You probably know this but I want to clarify it in case somebody doesn't:

Very, very few ordinary TV sets in Europe accept progressive scan INPUT at all. Some Loewe's should be able to do it. Don't know the specific models and the quality with ps input. You should not get confused with the internal line doubling many sets have to turn the interlaced input to progressive image..

Anyone care to post the pictures showing the evidence ?

You really must SEE the difference in person on a large screen between an interlaced image and a progressive scan image using a high quality de-interlacer such as: the sage/faroudja chip, the SI503/504 chip, or a HTPC. Posting static pictures can show you evidence of the space between scan lines of an interlaced image, but it is important to view it as a moving picture as well. Only then can you see if 3:2 and 2:2 pulldown is being performed correctly depending on whether you are using PAL or NTSC films. In addition to testing with film(24 fps), you should also test with(30 fps) for your testing.

The best graphical/visible explanation to progressive scan can be found in the link below. There are pictures to get the point accross.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html

Cheers,
William

Originally posted by DuncanWardle
Anyone care to post the pictures showing the evidence ?
Nope. The main difference, in my experience, comes with the handling of moving, finely detailed images. Although the effect is actually evident throughout a movie, it is at its most easily-seen during scrolling end-titles when the horizontal strokes in various letters can no longer be seen flashing on and off as they move beween scan lines. You can't see this effect in a still image.

However, I would go so far as to say that, with my setup, a well-mastered NON-anamorphic NTSC disc looks better (as regards this movement effect, and as regards jaggies on shallow diagonals) than an anamorphic PAL one shown interlaced.

Re my comment:
I doubt I'd see any significant difference on, say, a 24 inch TV.

I was referring to a hypothetical 24 inch screen with PScan capability. I have no idea whether such a thing exists, but, as I say, I'd guess it would be a pointless exercise.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom