pal prog: Kiss 450 or Limit 9900?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by poggs, May 4, 2003.

1. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish to get a dvd player for Prog scan. Im not interested in anything else eg cd audio quality or dvd audio, just the ability to do good pal & ntsc prog scan at a sensible price.

So I've narrowed it to the Kiss dvd-dp450

http://www.kissdvd.com/main.htm

or the limit 9900se.

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=300260

I know there is a philips but it doesnt seem very good at pal progressive to me. Which of these 2 is the one to connect to my plasma. I know about arcam and denon but there are was too dear. I've spent all my money on the plasma!

Any tips? Or is there another I've not found?

2. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've probably missed it somewhere but I can't see that the Kiss player supports PAL progressive. The below is copied from the FAQ section on the comfort.org.uk web-site concerning the DP-500 (top of the range model)

"Q: Which video outputs supports progressive scan ?

A: Component Scart (YpbPr) supports Progressive Scan in resolutions up to NTSC standard."

Is there a hack to get it to display PAL progressive that I'm not aware of ? I'm looking for a player at the moment (purely for PAL prog scan) and I'm tempted by the Limit myself.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    yes, be VERY wary of these cheap PS DVD player, there PS 'quality' really isn't upto much, you may well be FAR better having great interlaced and let your viewing device do the PS bit.

4. DAUpton

DAUpton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Harman Kardon DVD 25 (Can get PAL Progressive with a Firmware update) and am very impressed with the picture quality using NTSC & PAL Progreesive via my Panny Plasma.