PAL Prog - do all Plasma support this?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Matthew J Taylo, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking into various DVD players that have Prog Scan as I will eventually purchase a plasma screen.

I don't want to buy a machine that can only prog scan NTSC reg 1 discs but the no. of PAL prog options is low (HK, Arcam & Hacked Pioneer ?).

What I need to know is do all plasmas support both NTSC & PAL prog scan? I'm looking at the panny or the pioneer plasma.

I hope someone can answer this question.

Matt:suicide:

2. YYZ

YYZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not all plasmas will handle PAL Prog Scan. I know that the LG and Samsung dont' but I think the two you are looking at will, but you should double check.

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi Matt,

The Pioneer MXE models can accept PAL ps, but the HDE models with the separate media box cannot. I'm not sure if the Panasonic tuner box can take PAL ps either, but the plasma models that have an RCA or BNC terminal board fitted can accept it. Hope this helps.

Steve

4. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dutch: Do you mean that all plasmas with RCA or BNC terminal board will accept PS PAL,or are you just referring to Panasonic?

Joel

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Panasonic plasmas with Tuner box can accept PAL progressive scan; as can RCA and BNC terminal versions.

StooMonster

6. lonny

lonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK guys, getting confused now....

I thought that a screen can either accept progressive scan or it can't. I thought the NTSC/PAL issues were with the source - mostly DVD for us. ie. can your DVD player generate a progressive scan signal to pass to the screen from NTSC & PAL discs??
    Or have i just got the wrong end of the stick again???

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Most new screens can accept NTSC and PAL progressive scan signals from DVD players, scalers, etc.

The common exception is the Pioneer HDE models that will accept NTSC progressive scan, but not PAL progressive scan.

So to answer Matthew's question: all Panasonic plasmas accept both, all Pioneer except HDE models accept both, Pioneer HDE model only accepts NTSC progressive scan.

StooMonster

8. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    StooMonster Et al,

Many thanks for clearing this up, all we need now is a flood of PAL & NTSC Prog Scan DVD machines sowe have all base's covered.

Do you know if one is beter than the other, i.e PAL better than NTSC or is it player / manufacturer specific?

Matt

9. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,682
    The new Fujitsu accepts PAL progressive as according to the latest issue of What TV & Video it accepts a 720p signal (that apparantly means it's PAL progressive compatible). When will they ever get their facts right these magazines?

Andy

10. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi Andy,

The 720p resolution refers to one of the US HiDef broadcast standards. PAL progressive is usually referred to as 576p or 625p. The Fujitsu appears to be able to accept 576p though.

Steve

11. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    :rotfl: Think you misread zAndy1's post. ;)

StooMonster

12. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,682
    Indeed, what I meant was that according to What Video & TV if the display accepts 720p then it's PAL progressive compatible. What it should have said was 625p of course. Think the words were something to the effect of 'Owners of PAL progressive DVD players will be pleased to know the display accepts a 720p signal' . The amount of misinformation I've read in magazines like this lately is beyond belief, doesn't anyone check the articles/know what they're talking about?

Andy.

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,126
    Matt

Just a couple of points to be clear on:

A DVD player that has PAL and NTSC progressive scan processing does not normally carry out any format conversions (no doubt there will be one player that does have this function) in other words if the disc is PAL the player outputs a Progressive PAL signal and if the disc is NTSC the player outputs a Progressive NTSC signal.

You have to look at each Plasma Display or Plasma TV's specifications in isolation to see what accepts what and what level of processing each display has on board - there is no 'norm'.

Even within a 'family ' of like products there are differences between the accepted signal formats and types accepted - look at the spec on a Pioneer PDP-433MXE and a Pioneer PDP-503MXE for example; the differing pixel count allows the 503MXE to have a greater range of 'accepted' signal formats.

Loony - the 'problem' with the Pioneer HDE models is this; if you have a Pioneer PDP-433HDE or PDP-503HDE PlasmaTV which has a set of Component YUV inputs on Input 03 of the Media Receiver box and you also have a DVD player such as say the Arcam FMJ27 that is PAL and NTSC progressive compatible you have a choice to make when connecting the two devices together.

The Arcam has two sets of YUV Component video outs:
    A. Interlaced - which when connected to the HDE Media Box will allow you to view PAL and NTSC discs.

The HDE box will recognise an NTSC signal (disc) that has been originated on film and process them through its built in 'PureCinema' processor to give you a smoother looking image.

B. Progressive Scan - which when connected to the HDE Media Box will only allow you to view NTSC discs; with this connection enabled you are viewing the de-interlaced signal being produced by the DVD player and bypassing the 'PureCinema' processing on the HDE. You cannot play PAL discs into the HDE via this output on the DVD player.

Of course you could constantly keep swapping cables around on the DVD player - but that would be a pain and probably not do your phono sockets on the two YUV outputs much good.

Trust this all helps.

Best regards

Joe