1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL prog. Arcam DV88plus and Sanjo Z1 projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DVRRR, Feb 4, 2003.

Tags:
  1. DVRRR

DVRRR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK pretty good.
    1) The Arcam is a bit noisy on CD playback between tracks (it seems to whirr and occasionally misses the start of the track, but not really a CD player I suppose.
    2) Swithing between PAL prog and interlaced notice the following:

Interlace flicker is non existent on a 10ft diagonal widescreen 16:9. Very impressive,

Jaggies seem to be quite ok even on interlaced, probably due to the full 576 lines of PAL resolution? Not a massive difference, mainly a psychological comfort factor?

Horizontal line structure occasionally visible on fast movement, very transient and momentary though. Better than interlaced unsurprisingly, but not fully eradicated.

Horizontal line structure beomes invisible about 22ft back, at 20ft subtle but present. I believe this to be the matrix structure of the LCD panels rather than defects in the progressive (i.e. the pixel structure). Must admit I had expected it to be eliminated with the progressive as I believed the lines became obvious on a static image becuase of the fade rate of the interlaced odds versus even lines?

Anyone else any views? ANyone else running PAL prog with the Arcam?

2. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm feeding my Z1 from a Philips 963SA and, like you, have found that the horizontal line structure is still there. I can't say that I've noticed it to be much improved between interlaced and progressive, so I have put it down to the scaler in the Z1 introducing artifacts when scaling from 576 lines to the 544 line of the panel. I may try using line-to-line mapping in the service menu to see if the line structure goes away - though I would need to accept either distortion or horizontal overscan as a result... I guess I could also try outputting at 480p and see if that makes a difference, but I don't like the idea of losing that vertical resolution...

Ultimately, the picture is otherwise excellent so, provided I can get my lip-sync issues sorted, I will stick with the 963 rather than go the HTPC route.

_

3. DVRRR

DVRRR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, interesting view, thanks.
    I was told that DVDs only use 400 odd lines of resolution anyway. Dunno whether that is true or not. However the lines would presumably be at wider separation vesus the 576p.
    I tended to notice a bigger difference on my old Pioneer 939A between a region one NTSC interlaced and progressive output on a region one disc. Can't say I'm overwhelmed by the difference in PAL but I've sold the Pioneer on Ebay for a reasonable price to take away the cost a bit (if the guy actually pays).
    :D

4. camlogan

camlogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an arcam dv88+ and its progressive mode is better than the sim2 dmf's - jaggies that were there are no longer present when played in progressive mode - in interlaced mode there isn't much of a difference between that and my old toshiba 210se.

I get the odd problem of small white lines at the top of my image in progressive mode; though this happens only sometimes and I haven't figured out whether its the projector or the arcam (my solution is just to turn the projector off and turn it on again which usually gets rid of it).

CaM

5. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem tto recall reading that the DV88+ had compatibility issues with Sim2 PJs.
    If I can find the article I'll let you know.

Arcam were aware of it though so it should be a simple firmware fix.

Richard.