PAL prgressive Scan

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by timothywood, Feb 19, 2003.

1. timothywood

timothywood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a HK DVD25 to make use of PAL progressive scan. I advised the assitant I only had region 2 discs and therefore declined the offer to make multi-region. According to what hifi this player comes with PAL prog scan as standard. However upon reading manual it states NSTC ONLY !!! Is there a way of checking if PAL prog scan is enabled - if not I assume that hack is available - I have read other thread on this. (Assume no one has had any problems with this down-load ?)

I quized the shop on this and they now advise that PAL prog is only available with upgrade to multi-region and it is NOT stardard!
    According to HK !!!

When I spoke to the shop they also advised that PAL prog Scan was currently a waste of time as there were very few discs that were prog scan enabled. This is all new to me, but I thought it was the player and screen that determined the display of a prog scan disc and not coding/formatting on the disc. They advised that the disc jackets confirm if prog scan is accessible on each disc. Are they right? If so I have just wasted £300 as I only have region 2 discs and none say prog scan on them !! or is this just the babbling words of an under-trained sales assistant !

2. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    pretty sure the what hifi review actually states you have to get the mr firmware for pal prog to beoome available.

this doesn't invalidate your warranty though since you can always re-download the original R2 firmware.

as for the shop saying that prog scan is only available on certain disks.. complete and utter rubbish. It is just a form of processing that the dvd player has to do... nothing at all to do with the coding of the disk.

an old shop assistant wife's tale maybe?

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
  4. KUMB

KUMB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The shop assistant is getting a bit confused. R2 discs are notorious for being poorly coded but the HK DVD25 gets around this by allowing you to manually select the video mode using EZ Menu. You need to change the video mode (V) from it's default 0 to 2. You should find this works on the vast majority of R2 material and makes a significant difference. Happy viewing:D