1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL Plalyback on US DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Richard Moore, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Richard Moore

Richard Moore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just know this is going to be an FAQ ! And yes I have looked...

I can playback NTSC discs on my UK player no problem. And I think that's usual for Euro DVD players.

Is the reverse true ? If I have a PAL encoded DVD what are my chances of playing it back in either a DVD PC burner or a US dvd player such as the Bravo/Momitsu outputting to a us TV or PJ ?

2. Richard Moore

Richard Moore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually. when I think about it my PJ has an option to switch between NTSC and PAL. I guess that probably answers my question.

3. Saqib

Saqib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    um the dvd player itself may not be able to handle pal discs. the projector may, but unless it gets an input, it wont.

your key is the dvd player. when i got mine, my major factor was a player that had an option to force output to ntsc from a pal disc. also, the player i got had a worldwide voltage adapter i.e. 100-240v.

hope this helps some.

4. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not sure about the p.c question. The vast majority of usa stand alone players however, unless specifically specified otherwise, will not play pal. We are lucky in that we get multi standard equipment, the reverse is not true unfortunately.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Agree. Most US or Japanese DVD Players will not play PAL. I have a US player and it rejects the disc.
    As well most players sold here in Taiwan are from the Japanese market and they won't play PAL either.

If it does however you can also use the YUV/component outputs to circumvent any problems with NTSC only TVs.
    (Same as using RGB over Scart with a NTSC disc on a PAL-only TV.)

6. Richard Moore

Richard Moore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well fortunately , much to my surprise my friends Bravo player (here in the US) did. The discs were burnt on a UK Panasonic (E50) recorder.

They wouldn't play on another player claiming region coding issues. TBH I was surprised as I thought the Bravo was R1 only , never mind PAL playback.

Oh and I have watched cable supplied HDTV on a large screen. Rather good.....

7. clayts450

clayts450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Have to disagree - there are plenty of budget brands available in the US that do. Hell, even in most home-grown Taiwan DVD players are multi-voltage, multi-system, easily hackable players (eg Sampo :))

OT : Do you happen to know how much of an impression the new Claire LCD TVs have made in Taipei ?

8. clayts450

clayts450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    :blush:

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Being picky I would say they are not US or Japanese players (not specifically made for that market). ;)
    But the problem is that mostly only the budget brands offer this; try finding a branded player here and you would be lucky to get 2 of those criteria into one player, let alone all 3.

For that reason I bought myself a cheap Shinco which can do all this, but it's noisy, giving me problems with some discs (just 1.5 years old) on occasion, refuses some DVDs entirely and has an awful remote. Sucks.
    My two Yamaha players (now residing in Germany) are much older and have not given me any hassle yet (bought the 2nd one because it can do PAL & NTSC) - and they were used more frequently than the Shinco.

Haven't noticed. Will watch out next time I drop by at some AV shops ... :)