PAL or NTSC

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by arthurwatt, Feb 3, 2004.

1. arthurwatt

arthurwatt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Goodafternoon

I'm not sure this is the correct forum for this question but I'll have a go anyway.

I recently purchased a Panasonic PD30 tv and a Philips 963SA DVD player. This combination can play NTSC and PAL in progressive scan mode. I have noticed that several people seem to prefer watching NTSC as opposed to PAL. Is there any evidence that NTSC is "better" then PAL. PAL has more lines than NTSC so that should mean PAL is the better picture. Perhaps there is little between the two and is a matter of personal preference (and could vary quite a lot depending on sources and display).

Thanks

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    This is one of those perennial arguments which will never be resolved. :)

As you suspect, in fact there's no 'better choice' due to the large number of factors which determing the quality of a DVD .. such as original film stock, care taken during the transfer etc. etc. In theory extra scanlines mean higher quality, in practice the number of lines proves of very little importance, whatever difference there is being swamped by transfer quality, the fact that PAL is subject to a 4% speed-up due to framerate issues (unless this is compensated for and that's rarely done it seems).

Other issues also affect the choice, such as PAL tearing at 60Hz refresh rates, etc. etc.

If you browse on here you'll see many discussions on this subject .. there'll no doubt be very many more. :)