1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL/NTSC scaling

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Nicky, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I have a Panny 5 series, so in common with a lot of poeople's panels it has 480 vertical pixels - I've read this is to match the 480 lines in an NTSC transmission.

While centering/sizing the image I hit a question. In PAL you are forcing the screen to scale the image from 576 to 480 lines so it's not surprising you can resize and move it vertically.

However I thought it was worth sticking an NTSC disc into my DVD (component signal - DVD and PDP in 'auto' mode so should be transmitting NTSC) to see what happens here - I assumed the screen would be able to spot the 480 line signal and just match it to the pixels line for line - hence no need to move or resize it.

This doesn't happen - in fact you can move the NTSC picture up and down and make it bigger and smaller as you like. Additionally, if you fit it to the screen precisely there is (to my eyes) no sudden increase in image quality, as you might expect.

Question is: does anyone know if there is a way to fit the image directly to the lines - if you are only slightly out the screen could effectively have to scale a 479 line signal to 480 lines - not ideal. Similarly with PAL scaling a 576 line picture to 480 is at least a convenient ratio (6:5) where as 575 to 480 would be messy.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to fit the 480 lines to the 480 pixels directly - apoligies if this turn out to be a stupid question.

Cheers,

Nick