Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

PAL & NTSC question.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jed, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Jed

Jed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Mmm.
    Just been asked a question on Ebay.

I take it the guy is American as he used the word guy :) (Should have been a detective.)

Am i right in thinking that
    UK,Oz and Europe broadcast in PAL ?

The Americas and Japan Broadcast in NTSC?

I know i have a little switch on the back of my dvd player which says NTSC/PAL
    I keep it on NTSC no problems playing any disc. (Yes it is multiregion)

Do the Americas have the same switch ?
    Are their TV's able to playback PAL like we are able to play back NTSC ?

I hope i have asked this properly. I heard on the grapevine that if you bought a tv in the last 10 year you are pretty much covered. Is this correct. I assume it will be the same for the US.

Thanks in advance. If it's in the wrong forum can you move it for me mods.

Cheers JEd.

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    More modern PAL TVs & DVD players purchased here will play NTSC (but not all)

Fewer NTSC TVs & DVD players from the USA will play PAL.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,433
    Basically correct except France use SECAM which is very similar.

USA yes, Japan also AFAIK

Very few American TV's can display PAL. I would therefore assume that DVD players etc would not handle PAL either.

Mark.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That's correct (plus SECAM in some parts of Europe). See here: http://www.channel6.dk/uk/Page16.htm

Probably not if it's a branded model, they are usually 110V and NTSC only.
    (I have a US player myself that is NTSC only - if I put in a PAL disc it will be rejected.)

Nope, most standard TVs will be NTSC only.

However if the TV has a component (YUV) input and the DVD player supports PAL while having a YUV output you may be able to watch PAL discs (in the same way you can watch NTSC discs on non-NTSC TVs via RGB). The TV must support the 50Hz refresh rate however.

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    No they don't most of the time. The reason players here have that switch is for Composite and S-Video signals. Switching to "PAL" 9 times out of 10 won't be true PAL, it will be PAL-60 (NTSC refresh rate/line count with PAL colour system). It's there to get around the problem of some TVs not being able to accept the NTSC colour system, so people can watch NTSC discs in colour.

Most of the branded players in the USA won't even start a PAL disc. My friend in Canada gets a "TV system does not match" error.

6. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a North American, I feel I can offer a bit of insight on this (though I'm not an expert on video, audio is more my thing).

TVs: Overwhelming majority of them will NOT play PAL natively.
    Projectors: SOME can play PAL natively.
    DVD players: MOST cannot play PAL, but more and more are being released that can convert PAL to NTSC (though they cannot, for the most part, play PAL natively). A few (my Cambridge Audio 540D) will convert PAL<>NTSC in either direction AND output each in its native form--as long as the internal setup is done appropriately. Some others do this, but I don't their brands of the top of my head--none of them are BIG brands like Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha etc. My 540D is region free right out of the box--so I'm set for any disc world-wide, pretty much. Most others require a firmware or other hack to become region free (N. American mkt is touchy about that).

The best solution for N.A. users is a projector that can do native PAL and native NTSC, along with a player with the same feature set as mine. Projectors are not practical for a lot of people though, so the next best solution is a player that at least converts PAL to NTSC (not too hard to find) and can easily be made region-free (somewhat rarer). It requires a bit of homework to assemble the necessary gear over here--and most N.Americans don't bother.