PAL & NTSC Progressive Scan

mobily

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

If a player is multi-region and advertised as supporting pal progressive does it mean that the machine will also support ntsc progressive?

At the moment I have a dvd player which is only ntsc progressive and when I upgrade as well as getting a dvd player that supports pal I would also want to keep the ntsc feature.

I think all modern DVD players do both formats progressively. I had an older unit that only done NTSC but that's a few years ago now!

I bought a Liteon dvd player last month
it only does 480p

I stand corrected - can't believe they're still making them!

Mind you are we talking about players at the sub 35quid level?

Still the question hasn't been answered. If a player is multi-region and advertised as supporting pal progressive does it mean that the machine will also support ntsc progressive? If I know a player supports 576p does it also support 480p? I know some players support 480p and not 576p (pal ps) but how about the otherway round?

Some of the 'more recent' NTSC progressive scan machines have the ability to output PAL progressive, but this may be 'locked' since at the time that PAL progressive was implemented there were some deliberations as to what the definitive requirements for PAL progressive would be (or so my local Audio Excellence store told me).

My Marantz DV4300 was NTSC progressive scan only 'out of the box', but after a simple (less than 2 minute) procedure I unlocked the PAL progressive capability and the player now outputs both PAL and NTSC progressive scan.

I don't whether this might work in reverse i.e. PAL progressive only machines being unlocked to play NTSC progressive as well?

I'm wondering the same thing (as I'm thinking about the hitachi dvds161e). If a dvd player is advertised as PAL Progressive, then by default will it be able to do ntsc progressive even if this is not advertised?

My feeling is yes, but would like to hear confirmation.

I bought the Philips 963SA when it came out which was only officially NTSC Progressive. As mentinioned above the requrements for PAl prog wern't finalised at the time so the Pal feature was locked. I had to go through a routine using the Pronto to submit a code to unlock this.

To answer your question. If it is only advertised as Pal prog then it may not have NTSC implemented. As PjClark1 mentioned above his only does pal prog.

You would be best checking with the supplier or documention of the player before buying

I hope this helps

Deks

As PjClark1 mentioned above his only does pal prog.

You mean it only does Ntsc prog- 480p

I realise there were/are loads of players that only did ntsc progressive or which needed the pal prog scan mode unlocked and I'd read loads of posts about this.

However, I still haven't seen any posts saying pal progressive players won't do ntsc progressive and I still think that if a player says pal progressive it will alo handle ntsc progressive by default. I guess your right though, I'm probably better just asking the manufacturer...the only problem is most of the customer support teams know less about the products than us. Having asked lg and sony cs departments a few questions it became clear they had no idea what an rbg input was???

ferris57 said:
You mean it only does Ntsc prog- 480p ???

My apologies I meant NTSC prog - Was speed typing as I was on a deadline at work and these forums are too much of a distraction!

Unless i'm corrected here I believe its all down to the manufacturer's firmware/programming as to whether it supports ntsc prog as well as the advertised pal prog. I would have thought it was in their intetrests to support both as this increases sales.

What player were you looking at as maybe someone on the forums will know something about the player?

Good luck

Deks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom