1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL/NTSC & Progressive Scan

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jimboexrad, Sep 5, 2005.

1. jimboexrad

jimboexrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I'm an absolute beginner both in the forum and with all the technical stuff I now seem to be faced with. I haven't recognised any of the equipment I have/wish to purchase, so I'm probably not in the same league as most on this forum. Could someone please explain a few things to me? I wanted to move from DVD Player to recorder and got a good deal on a Pioneer DVR 433H (not yet hooked up). In the manual, I see that it has a Progressive Scan capability. So I looked for a LCD TV with the same. I'm still making up my mind, when I see on your forum (if I have it right) that, if I have Region 2 DVDs (all of mine) they are played in PAL and the progressive scan doesn't work. My DVD also says Multi-region. Does that mean I can get Region 1 DVDs and play them in NTSC using the progressive scan feature? I don't know if I should ask this here, but the DVD also has component video output, scart and S Video. Which would be best please? This will make a difference on my choice of TV (agaoin, not high-end). Thanks to anyone who will plough through this and help.

2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    The best video quality will always come from component or RGB scart. There is little to chose between them. Just avoid s-video and especially composite wherever you can.

Remember that just because you can't output progressive PAL, doesn't mean that you can't watch it. If you have a flat panel display, that will de-interlace the video anyway. It's just that the source may do it better.

For the other questions, DVDrs & PVRs are quite involved, and you are probably better off posting in one of the audio video sources forums, like DVD recorders, which is very well subscribed.

3. jimboexrad

jimboexrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this welwynnick. I'll do as you suggest.