pal/ntsc ? help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jmack, Nov 27, 2002.

1. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after having my philips 962sa hooked up to my plasma now for a couple of months i decided to read the instuctions, and it says i can either have the dvd player out pal or ntsc and as my plasma can take both, could you tell me which would be the best ?
    i have it conected to the screen through component for the progressive output

thanks

2. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll dive in to this - even if I still have to wear arm bands.

If connected to the screen through component then I think you've avoided the PAL/NTSC composite issue!

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so it wont make any differance to pic quality?
    to be honest cant tell any diff?

4. sconepanman

sconepanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not an expert but doesn't the 962a only output progressive on NTSC. THe 963a can be hacked to do PAL progressive according to threads on this forum. The progressive scan forum can tell you more as can this.

5. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no my 962sa is an import from hivizone and does pal progressive
    625p and ntsc progressive 525p shows up on the screen,
    i think its 576p visible lines on pal progressive and 480p visible on ntsc progressive ( i think might be totally wrong). another question while i`m here my plasma has 480 horizontal lines should i be getting a better pic with ntsc disks as it should be perfectly matched?

thanks

6. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    There are only a finite number of lines of information on an NTSC recording. You can either have this converted to PAL by your player, or converted by your screen. Surely it can't make any difference which way you set it up; it will still be converted and ultimately be the same picture...

7. MarkB4506

MarkB4506

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well....if you have a YPbPr connection then there's no 'PAL' or 'NTSC' involved, just 480p or 576p with the only difference being the number of TV lines (TVL). In practical terms this difference is not significant.

The quality of the picture will depend much more on the quality and attributes of the deinterlacer in the DVD player
    (eg is it a flag or cadence reader, how does it cope with cadence errors and difficult film-video transitions etc.) and those of the scaler in the plasma panel if it cant natively display 576p.

In that sense there will be less processing of 480p in your panel than 576p but the impact of this on the picture will depend on the quality of the input signal as above and the quality of the panel's processing. Only you can assess that subjectively.

Within the confines of your equipment you're doing everything right - just send 480p and 576p to the plasma. The only alternative is to send 480i and 576i to the panel and let it deinterlace the signal. This will lose you 10-30 TVL as a consequence of the extra AD and DA conversion but will show up the plasma deinterlacer's quality. Might be interesting but very very unlikely to be better quality than what you're doing. If that werent the case there'd be no point in a progressive capable player!

8. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Mark,

I have to take my hat off to you; you know you PAL / NTSC stuff!

Cheers,