1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL / NTSC compatibility

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by jonesyboy, Jul 27, 2003.

1. jonesyboy

jonesyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,
    does anyone know of a camcorder that can be used with both PAL and NTSC tapes? I currently live in the UK but will be moving to Canada in the near future and would like a compatible camcorder, if there is one! I have heard that there are third party converters. Is this true and do you have any idea of the price?

Thanks for your help!

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    There is very little difference between NTSC & PAL tapes. NTSC tapes are slightly longer as NTSC runs faster (I think its that way round :confused: ).
    The thing to be careful of is that if you want to play a PAL camcorder into an NTSC TV then you wont be able to (PAL will play NTSC, but thats no help to you :clown: ). You will only be able to play you recordings if you edit them on a PC and then convert to NTSC, or get a hardware converter but these are expensive. Analogue (for playback only) around £200, digital (playback & record) £500 up :eek: . Prices may be lower in Canada.

Mark.

3. jonesyboy

jonesyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help Mark!!!

4. jonesyboy

jonesyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,
    I've had a look around for computer software which can convert to NTSC but don't really know what to look for. Can you recommend any?

Cheers!

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Ok I had a look for PAL>NTSC conversion programmes and found this on the Computer Video forum:
    else you could try Canopus Dv file Format Converter for £234

Or

Sonic Foundry Vegus Video $400 (US download)

Hope this helps,
    Mark.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Sorry forgot to say, I can not actually recommend any of these as I have not used any of them and am just offering info on what I found.

Mark.

7. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Canopus Procoder is a good piece of software . I use it to MPEG encode my video for DVD authoring. It is an excellent multi format encoder & does PAL/NTSC (& vice versa) conversion.

Not cheap mind you, but you are getting arguably the best software MPEG encoder.

(I just happen to use Vegas Video for editing as well - great NLE ;)