1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pal is better than NTSC?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by panadol, Jan 20, 2003.

1. panadol

panadol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Pal is 625 lines and NTSC is 525 lines in nature, is it mean that the resolution of PAL is better than NTSC?
    Please help

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PAL is 50Hz, 625 Lines per frame.
    NTSC is 60Hz, but only 525 Lines per frame.

But both formats use the top and bottom lines of each frame for teletext and the like, so the effective resolution of each is lower, but still more lines in a PAL frame are used for picture information.
    NTSC suffers slightly less from flicker, but has a far worse colour performance (hence the nickname Never Twice Same Colour).

Bear in mind that whilst most TVs can display NTSC, and most VCRs can play it back, very few can record in NTSC, so if you want to put your videos onto a VHS cassette you are almost forced into using PAL.

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yesterday I played around with trying to visualize how much of the signal is used by the active picture. So far I have only made a pic of the PAL system, but it helps give an impression of what's actually in there. It gets a lot more descriptive than figures. Since I happened to make it, I figured I might as well show it now that I came upon this thread :)

Picture of PAL footprint (640x625, 75kB)

This is an entire frame, with the two separate fields in it. The darkest black areas on the left and between the fields are the sync pulses, and the patterns above the fields is the Teletext signals. That's also the area where copy protection signals and widescreen signalling are placed. The purple areas to the left of the fields are supposed to illustrate the color burst.

The active picture area is 576 lines high in total, 288 lines in either field (although part of the top and bottommost lines are cut) and each line of it is 52µs wide. The width per line including blanking is 64µs. In digital video such as DV, the width of each entire line is 864 pixels, which makes the active picture area 702 pixels wide. An additional 8 pixel margin is added on either side for a total resolution of 720x576 per complete frame.