1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Pal games on NTSC cube

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by t-force, Apr 23, 2003.

1. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Groundy is probably the best person to answer this:

I'm considering swapping my PAL cube for an NTSC one, as I'm now getting the vast majority of my games from the other side of the Atlantic, and my next TV may well be able to handle NTSC progressive scan. I know that using Freeloader, one can't feed a composite or S-video signal from an NTSC cube with a PAL game into the TV, as it will come out in black and white. I also know that a modified RGB cable (of the groundy variety) will give me colour.

What I need to know is: can I use a component cable in the above scenario, and get a colour picture?

Cheers,

T

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's a good question. I have tried the above scenario with one PAL game and it worked fine in colour. I'll try a few more later and see if there are any problems. I don't expect there will be though :).

3. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I can answer this question as I have a modded Jap/US GC connected via the official Jap Component cable into my Toshiba 36ZP18 (interlaced only:( )
    I also have a copy of the Freeloader 1.6 and every pal game i have tried so far gives a colour picture, i have tried quite a few.
    I was concerned that only pal games with a pal60/60hz option would play in colour so i rented a game out i knew didn't have a pal60/60hz option, ie ISS2.
    Which played in colour so no problems, i actually own pal copies of SSX Tricky (a tenner from MVC) Monkeyball 2, Timesplitters 2 and Ace Golf, i have rented several others but all play in glorious colourvision.

Hope that helps :smashin:

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Fuzzy :) - I don't need to try it now :D.