1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL Gamecube through Monitor

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Maelstrom, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I'm a noob when it comes to AV stuff, so I need some help getting my Gamecube running with good quality through my monitor. I bought a VGA box thinking it would be the end of my problems, but the quality through it is bad (using RGB). I looked around and read that component cables provide a much better picture and VGA boxes don't give out good pictures usually.

Next, my graphics card is a Radeon9800 pro. I know this has a DVI port on it along with VGA-out and TV-out (composite/s-video). I also know there are some Component to DVI adapters floating around the interweb. So my questions are..

1) Will connecting it to my graphics card using official Gamecube Component cables and a Component to DVI adapter give me quality as good as (or better than) TV?

2) How would I go about switching the signals from VGA and DVI if I did do this? or how would I view the Gamecube video through the monitor?

3) what Component -> DVI adapters do you people recommend for someone on a budget?

Thanks alot :D

2. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Unless you were using a 'VIVO' card, each of the three connections (DVI, VGA and 'TV') are outputs.

For a PAL Gamecube, things really aren't good. There is the option of using, as I do occasionally, a TV card with DScaler software; but a composite signal is the best that you can use. Despite the existence of the appropriate cable, s-video is disabled on the PAL revision of this console.

There may well be other options, but I'd guess that they could cost considerably more than the console! Having said that, with no personal experience of the alternatives, I'll have to leave it to someone else...

Good luck! :)

3. Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I feared. I read about PAL Gamecubes not being able to output s-video.. and my card isn't VIVO so i'm stuck with the composite or the VGA box. I guess it might be time to find a cheap TV :suicide:

Thanks for the help.

4. Poit

Poit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They discontinued the digital port on the NTSC Gamecubes as well this year. I don't know if the newer NTSC ones can have s-video either. It says on Nintendo's website that they found only 1% of buyers used the digital port.

5. Poit

Poit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    We have games companines who use the SweetSpot card to capture video for cover discs - so you could use that with an RGB lead (though you would need to add a scart switcher as well to sort out the cable gender issues)
    It might be overkill though if you are running on a small desktop monitor!

cheers

7. phresh

phresh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The best thing would be to just buy a NTSC cube and a modded VGA cable. I recently tried it with mine and the quality is amazing. Problem is it will only work with progressive scan enabled games.

8. Poit

Poit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you get the modded vga cable? And how much was it?

9. phresh

phresh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    they are not official ones, they are modded from the official D-terminal cable. Go to www.ntsc-uk.com and someone there shoulod be able to sort you out with one, although I warn you know they are not cheap, expect to pay between £30 and £50. But it is much cheaper than a component to VGA converter still.