1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL Film DVD interlace/Progressive Scan Question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mike65, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Mike65

Mike65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know all about interlacing and progressive scan but there's something that's bugging me about PAL film DVD's.

PAL film DVD's are interlaced. But both the 'fields' that make up each interlaced frame on a DVD movie originate from the same frame of the film if you know what I mean and not like TV shows where the 2 fields that make up each frame are taken at a slightly different interval.

So what I want to know is even if a PAL film DVD is interlaced but like my explanation above says about the 2 interlaced fields being from the same frame and belonging together (you don't see any interlacing when you are converting them to DivX or whatever), could you tell a progressive scan DVD player to output as progressive regardless of the 'flag' at the start of the DVD saying it's interlaced? The way I see it all the horizontal lines from the film DVD could be sent to the TV to be displayed at the same time just as a progressive scan DVD does.

Thanks for any replies.

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I think you'll find that it's DVD players that output interlaced, some films are stored in progressive format -- it's better compression for MPEG2.

What you are refering to is 2:2 pulldown.

Check this article for an excellent explanation, with good illustrations too

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html

3:2 pulldown is what happens in NTSC television with showing movie 24fps on 60Hz television.

StooMonster

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    To answer this specific point, IMX of 3 prog. scan players all could be forced into 'film' or 'video' deinterlacing mode, aka. Bob and Weave though not necessarily in that order ;), in addition to 'auto' where it looks for flags.

There are also players and displays that don't look for the flag but instead detect the mode they need by analysing the data .. external deinterlacers can also do this.

4. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not to sure what it is your getting at here but you seem to be just sugesting that a dvd player does exactly what a progressive scan dvd player does, that is put together the 2 fields and display them as a single frame in a 2:2 sequence... Well that is what happens if your dvd player has Pal progressive scan... I'm confused as to what you were getting at??:confused: