Pal Connector for Satellite Cable

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Geeky123, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Geeky123

Geeky123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I use Pal connectors instead of F connectors in satellite signal cable?

Do Pal connectors cause signal loss to satellite signals?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  2. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    Do you mean the regular push-type aerial connectors (called Belling-Lee connectors)? This would probably work although most cheap Belling-Lee plugs do not create a very robust or secure connection which could easily affect the signal.

Why not use f-type connectors? They are the preferred connector, and as long as you choose the correct size for your cable type they are pretty much fool proof to fit.

3. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,581
    What is your application?

Connectors are interchangeable, however it is obviously much better to use F connectors where possible because of the secure mechanical connection.
    F connectors should always be used from a dish LNB to a receiver, for most setups that would be your only option anyway.

Pal or Belling Lee connectors can sometimes have a loose fit, causing either signal loss, interference, or broken connections.
    F connectors , by design, are more secure and give less problems.

4. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,074
    Also satellite coax carries voltages, not very high @ 13/18c dc 350-400mA, but enough to cause damage if shorted with routinely loose connections & also applies to the way belling lee connectors are made up on the coax compared to f connectors- particularly the braid.

you can get push on f connectors though, if that suites what you are after, but we use them on satellite meters rather than on final installations, although patch leads for connecting IRS/Multiswitch cascading units etc. are available terminated with push fit f connectors, these are far more solid than belling lee.

5. Geeky123

Geeky123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for your replies. My application is just a satellite dish - receiver connection, but I noticed a significant signal improvement when I replaced pal connectors with f ones, so I had the dought.