1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL compatibility from PC

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by spudmachine, Jan 23, 2004.

1. spudmachine

spudmachine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just taken my first, tentative steps into the Media PC world by building a Shuttle PC. All is well, except I'm having difficulty getting a colour picture on one of my TVs. Here are the details:

1. The Shuttle PC BIOS is set to output PAL-I (the UK standard).

2. When I attach this to a UK TV (a Philips) using the onboard S-Video I get a colour picture. Hoorah!

3. When I attach this to a TV I bought in France (a Thomson), I see a black and white picture. I know French TVs receive SECAM, but read on before telling me again :)

I think the Thomson model number is 28DK25E S, or it may be 431/ICC17-EN. Both numbers on the back panel, but one may be a serial number.

On the Thomson TV, there is no specific option to set the PAL type, but there is a country setting (which I have set to UK).

In addition, I have a standard antenna plugged into the TV, and it displays a colour picture with no problem from UK stations.

I also have plugged a Sky digibox receiver into the SCART port of the TV, and this displays colour pictures with no problem.

Finally, I have plugged a PAL model Sony Camcorder into the S-Video input of the TV, and this displays in colour.

One other piece of info. I have a HiGrade laptop with an S-Video port, and this behaves exactly the same way as the Shuttle - in other words, black and white on the Thompson and colour on the Philips.

Why is the "PAL" from a PC output different from the "PAL" of a Skybox or camcorder?

Cheers,
    Geoff

2. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Although you have set the BIOS to PAL-I have you checked the software for your video card driver? My Nvidia card has a TV ouput via composite or S-Video but I still have to select PAL or NTSC in software.

HTH