1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pal better than Ntsc.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Napoleon, Jan 21, 2001.

1. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been comparing 3 dvds from region 1/2.I was hoping i would not notice a difference, as i have a lot of region 1 dvds.
    Unfortunately the colour of pal discs is clearly better on all the discs,as well as a touch of resolution.To convert to region 2 is going to be bloody expensive.I just wish i knew what to do.

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Strange, I prefare R1 NTSC for picture quality. I find they have a sharper picture and the colour is fine as long as you use RGB. Its probably down to your TV not being very NTSC friendly. What make and model is it?

3. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think it does depend on your viewing source. I prefer NTSC on my projector (CRT), but a friend of mine has a Davis DLP and says R2 definately looks better on his . Its interesting to hear of the differences on different equipment.

------------------
    Don't think you are, Know you are.

4. Hendrik

Hendrik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...yeah, not only that (which TV do you have) but which player? - and which titles did you compare?

Fact is, the vast majority of DVD-watching people will, in fact, be watching 'their' DVDs on (a computer or) a telly and - that same vast majority not being anal retentive about anything so mundane as DVD - wouldn't notice any difference between R1 & R2 discs if it tickled their gonads...

! [​IMG] !

5. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The titles i compared were Caddyshack/Good
    Morning Vietnam/Ghostbusters.All of the region 1 dvds were the latest release,S.E,etc
    My dvd player is the Toshiba SD100,and the television is the Loewe Arcada(33").I am not talking a vast difference,just a noticable colour improvement.Pal does have the extra lines,so i guess there ought to be a difference.All things being equal i will probably choose region 2(France),because they are uncut,and most importantly unmatted.
    I hate the way 1:85:1 ratio is matted to 1:77:1.
    Anyway,life goes on......

[This message has been edited by Napoleon (edited 21-01-2001).]

6. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

7. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is resolution not restricted to the resolution of the DVD, circa 500 lines and therefore the TV, has nothing to do with it, whether its 525 lines or 625.

Prehaps your problem could lie with the DVD player as your TV is pretty good

------------------
    Assumption is the mother of all errors

member formerly known as hank hill, the Jesus H
    but he got bored of that so changed to some latin sh*t
    'which is nice'

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Personally, I think that Region 2 looks a tiny little bit better, picture quality wise, only because it has 625 lines to use, rather than the 525 of NTSC screens.

However, if you look at the latest version of the thriller "Se7en" on Region 1 DVD, the picture is possbily the best looking I have ever seen, on ANY DVD whatsoever. On some NTSC titles, you can occasionally make out the individual lines, but on "Se7en", it looks like a PAL version, even though it ain't that at all! That's how fab it really is!

Having said that, equipment does make a big difference, as does the DVD discs themselves. There are shoddy R2 discs, and shoddy R1 discs. I guess until there is just one, unique, worldwide TV standard, (which ain't ever going to happen), then we'll just have to make do with what we have.

Pooch

9. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The circa 500 lines of a DVD are vertical lines. The 625 or 525 lines associated with PAL and NTSC are horizontal lines.

Another thing that I have noticed is that my TV appears to use a line doubler in NTSC mode which would explain the better picture quality that I see.

10. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I guess from the replies it probably depends on various factors.I think the Toshiba SD100 is a hell of a good player.The only thing it can't do is convert NTSC into PAL on playback.Whether such a feature would
    alter the quality of the image,i don't know.
    The comment about the 'smoothness' of Pal dvds is a good one;if NTSC dvds were seen in
    progressive scan i guess they would get that quality.
    Thanks anyway.