1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL audio pitch correction -- a question

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by StooMonster, Sep 1, 2003.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Who thinks the soundtrack is pitch corrected at DVD mastering, who thinks it's done when producing "broadcast" versions, and who thinks it is done at the time of post production when sound track is finalised?

Caveat, this will of course vary for "movies" versus "television programmes" -- although bearing in mind, US television programmes are shot on film at 24fps.

Are there any industry people about who could comment?

StooMonster

2. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good question, but isn't pitch correction quite a rare things still? Also in kind of relation to the question I was looking at the infomation abouth the encoding of the US and UK versions of the Two Towers (where you select the NEW LINE symbol on the menu) and both were virtually the same? Both the video and audio was encoded at the same place according to the info on the DVD's? I thougth EIV would have done the UK version (including pitch), can anyone explain this?

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    one_jedi, if you search the DVD forum (older than this DVD Talk one) I believe you'll find posts about mastering; many from people who work in the industry.

Off the top of my head, I seem to recall:
    1. All masters are all made at the same place at the same time, some Region1 fanboys will tell you that "more care and attention is taken on NTSC version" but it's rubbish.
    2. There are typically six digital masters made, not two (NTSC anamorphic, PAL anamorphic, NTSC pan'n'scan, PAL pan'n'scan, NTSC letterbox, PAL letterbox)
    3. These digital masters are not necessarily exclusively DVD ones, and can also be used for "broadcast", airlines, hotels, etc. masters; furthermore, these days are at higher resolution (e.g. 1080p) and uncompressed.
    4. DVD master would be a scaled down version or taken from one of these six masters, and this is where edge enhancement and compression are applied; this creates files of the target size.
    5. These files can be used locally (i.e. UK) where you may get different menus; or the entire DVD may be authored (menus and all) at the same place at the same time.

I think the above is correct, but you may need to check as the old memory isn't as good as it used to be.

StooMonster

4. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, thanks for the info. So does this mean that a lot of the time it's not always the company i.e EIV fault if soemthing is wrong with a DVD? I assume that sometimes when the companies compress the DVD ect this is where problems with different releases crop up ie. I have read in different places that the R4 version of The Matrix offeres a slightly better picture than the R2, so these would have come from the same master but when it came to compression etc the company who did the R4 version did a slightly better job than the UK version?

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Typically both R2 and R4 will use the same digital master. However, there can be recoding (decode, edit, re-encode) and general messing up of R2 picture if any "cuts" have been made to a movie.

Unfortunately this happens all to often in UK releases.

Another consequence of these "cuts" is extras can be lost. For example, The Matrix R2 lost both the Commentary (by Carrie-Anne Moss, editor Zach Staenberg and visual effects supervisor John Gaeta) and the Isolated musical score (with commentary by composer Don Davis) because of the cuts. It would be too expensive to edit those (just for UK) as well as the film, so they just dropped them.

StooMonster

6. Fjolle

Fjolle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What i cant understand is why they didnt include it in the uncut nordic release?