1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL at 60hz

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by apul, Feb 6, 2003.

1. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    sorry if this seems like abit of a silly question but if i played a PAL disc and outputted to my display at NTSC(refreshrate and resolotion), will it deteriate the picture quality, make it jumpy, bad motion blur or anythig? or will it just be the same. and does somesoftware do this better than others?

also, i know this has been asked many time before but in your opinion, what is the best software? WinDVD, PowerDVD 4.0, ATI, or cineplayer 4.0?

thanks for your time :)

2. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    I watch PAL and NTSC disks using an NTSC display, and cannot detect any difference. But in my setup I am outputing at 480p (or 540p) (=60Hz), and so results may be different at 480i.

I don't know for sure, but I doubt it will make any noticeable difference, because the player software is using a progressive source. The tv-out will be interlacing this, for NTSC output - which is fine - it should work as well (or as badly!) as it does with any other material via your TV-out.

I believe it's more problematic in the other direction, when you have an interlaced source and are trying to derive a progressive signal.

At 60Hz, you have enough bandwidth to display all DVD frames and so it shouldn't be jerky.

3. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    thanks, it was just a little query i had, as im still in the market for a new prog tv and can (at the moment) can only afford an ntsc only prog scan one.
    :)

4. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Actually, I have been reading some reports lately about audio stuttering, and jerky pan shots (which I have witnessed myself), being linked directly to refresh rate timings. And so I may have over simplified the issue with my earlier response.

You may want to investigate this reclock thread for more information. But it's all a bit too complicated for me.

:confused:

Good luck.