PAL and NTSC comparisons

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Punce, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The other night I invited a friend over, and he brought a couple of R2 (PAL) DVD's over that I had on R1 (NTSC) to compare.

Films:

MI:2
    Romeo Must Die

Scenes:

MI:2 - Opening scene, helicopter camera over the Sydney opera house is it?

RMD - Beginning of the film - Jet Li's escape from the prison, and pushes a bicycle out of the prison gates

Comparisons:

MI:2 - the skyscrapers that enter the screen on the right have terrible flicker on horizontal lines on R2 - dead smooth on R1.

RMD - The basket on the front of Jet Li's bicycle has the horrible flicker again - vanished on the R1 disc.

Can this be fixed on PAL discs? Possibly some refresh setting somewhere?

Equipment:

Panasonic PT-AE100E pj using VGA port with HCPC
    Pioneer 106s DVD ROM
    Radeon 7500
    Using Zoom Player (CinePlayer filters)
    and PowerStrip (Li On's settings - 480p 60Hz refresh)

2. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sounds like it's not weaving properly. There may be some ForceWeave setting you have to set.

John

3. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    I think it might be where 25 fps doesn't fit 60Hz.

When Jeff came over, we compared the R1 and R2 versions of Shrek.

TheaterTek v1.1, Radeon DDR, 7075 driver.
    BarcoData 808s, clean bright and about 13,000 hours! So, that's progressive onto a 7ft screen, viewed at about 1.5 picture widths away.

R1 using [email protected]
    R2 using [email protected] (I then used Video adj, down and esc to workaround TheaterTek PAL video defaults low-brightness bug)

Roland had calibrated both the above banks after installation, but in a different radeon driver, WinDVD, etc so settings may now be a out.

Colours were a little more muted on the R2 disc, but again this may be calibration. Dark detail was comparable. Both had beautifully smooth pans and looked equally sharp (start of dragon sequence 7?)

I know that such pans on a non-progressive/domestic player would generally drive me nuts, because of 3:2 pulldown on NTSC R1 discs, but there was nothing noticeable here; the inverse telecine of the software player working well.

Jeff pointed out that R1 releases often have less compression problems visible than R2 releases, probably because of the actual lower resolution and less audio data.

Surprisingly I found the R1 release preferable, certainly I didn't notice the theoretically higher resolution of the R2 release being any more detailed.

I might just buy Star Wars TPM R1 to see if that's better than R2.

I think this may have converted me to buying R1 over R2 if there are no other deciding factors.

Fancy any further comparison's Jeff??!!!! I think Jeff probably has a R1 version of everything I have, around 50 of my 100 DVD's are R2??

regards,
    Rob.