1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL against NTSC

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Withdrawnmist, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Withdrawnmist

Withdrawnmist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it me ?...but I sincerely think I get a better picture from a PAL disc than a NTSC disc on my TV ( a forty inch Loewe).

I've done direct A/B comparisons and for the most I honestly feel the resolution is better on PAL discs.....what do you think ?

Astound me with your multi-regional answers ;)

cheers

2. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Not massively surprising as PAL is higher definition then NTSC :)

Hense NTSC > PAL conversion is cheap and common, while PAL > NTSC conversion is rare and costs a small countries wealth ;)

Although I still cant tell the difference myself :rolleyes:

3. Withdrawnmist

Withdrawnmist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks chum :smashin: ......So PAL is higher definition....I didn't know that....but now I do...many thanks :)

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +844
    This has been discussed many times before, but some highlights:
    • The resolution of a PAL picture is 720x576. NTSC is 720x480.
    • PAL has 25 frames per second, NTSC has 30.
    • Cinema film is 24 frames per second. When transferring film to PAL DVD it is therefore transferred frame-for-frame. This means the film is speeded up by about 4%.
    • Typically this means that the soundtrack of the film is one semitone higher than it should be on PAL, but accurate on NTSC. Some PAL transfers use "pitch correction" to eliminate this effect, but this usually causes more problems than it solves (e.g. introducing stray clicks and pops into the sound).
    • On NTSC discs, 4 frames of the original film are spread across 5 frames of the disc. This can lead to a slightly jerky, juddery effect on moving objects, as some frames effectively last longer than others. (However, a well-designed deinterlacer is capable of exactly reconstructing the original film frames for progressive scan output).
    • A television designed for PAL (which includes Loewe TVs) will probably not display NTSC pictures quite as well as a TV primarily designed to display NTSC. Different TVs display NTSC signals with differing levels of comfort.
    • Given that NTSC and PAL transfers are usually done separately, there may be factors not directly related to the format of the image which make one look better than the other.
    • A TV program made in one format will usually look better in that native format than it will after it's been converted. Some PAL DVDs of american TV shows go back to the original film source and remaster it at PAL resolution, but for the ones that are a simple conversion of the NTSC original, the NTSC original itself will usually look better.

5. Withdrawnmist

Withdrawnmist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the comprehensive summary (is that a double negative I just said ?), anyway, your advice is greatly apprecaited

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +844
    No. Although it could be considered an oxymoron.

7. Erling

Erling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PAL has the potential for the better image, but it really boils down to the individual release in question - a good NTSC transfer easily beats a bad PAL transfer. Here's a link for a page with a comparison of the Danish and Japanese versions of Kill Bill Vol. 1:

http://jimsdvdsite.dk/bild/kill-bill-1/compar/kb1-dk-jp.html

If you move your cursor over the top image of each of the image sets, it will switch from the Danish to the Japanese version. This makes it very obvious that the Japanese is far superior, despite it being NTSC and the Danish one being PAL.

Cheers,
    Erling

8. Withdrawnmist

Withdrawnmist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOW !!..that's a great link....Thanks.....amazing !!

9. Erling

Erling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're welcome, and yes it's a great comparison - certainly convinced me that I'd better cough up more than twice the amount of money to get the Japanese versions of Kill Bill 1 & 2... :rolleyes:

Cheers,
    Erling