PAL aerial feed to NTSC/ATSC tuner

ciarantwomey

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Hopefully this is the correct forum for this query.

I'd like to purchase a "Fire Tv Recast" (FTA OTA DVR) which is only available in the US for use in Ireland. (I realise the fire tv recast isnt everyone's cup of tea and there are alternatives such as hd homerun - but I'd rather the fire tv recast)

The issue obviously is that in the UK/Ireland we work off PAL whereas the US work off ATSC/NTSC - I think I if purchase in the US it will not work in Ireland as its a ATSC/NTSC tv tuner in the recast and the feed (freeview / freesat) is PAL - I've done some initial research online and there are converts but this is specifically for video feeds (i.e. games consoles/ dvd players etc) - I cant find any reference as to how to get a converter to allow a NTSC/ATSC tv tuner to work in the UK/Ireland

Appreciate if anyone knows of a solution to this. TIA

You’re out of luck, I think. You have hardware for a transmission system not used this side of the pond. It’s not so much the picture format, as most modern TVs will handle NTSC and PAL, but the tuner, which won’t pick-up anything.

You’re out of luck, I think. You have hardware for a transmission system not used this side of the pond. It’s not so much the picture format, as most modern TVs will handle NTSC and PAL, but the tuner, which won’t pick-up anything.

The framerate alone precludes this ever working. NTSC 23.976 fps. PAL 25fps.

There are no PAL I broadcasts in the UK & Ireland any more. We now use DVB-T/T2. You could possibly get a Saorview box to feed it. It will need to be one with a scart. Best to get an unapproved one actually because they can be setup in the menus to output in NTSC whereas approved ones can’t if they are anything like UK Freeview boxes.

Another option be an ATSC modulator fed by a DVB-T box. Johansson 8202 can output ATSC.

I've just looked up Fire TV Recast. Reading up it requires an antenna input in ATSC, i.e. in digital. It does not accept analogue whether PAL or NTSC.

So that limits you to an ATSC modulator, in fact 2 of them if you want to use both internal tuners.

I should wait until it gets released in Europe (if it does).

You mean 29.976.

Sorry yes but I have loads of 1080p files with 23.976. (Both in MkV and MP4 containers) Nominally 1080p24. Plex on a Firestick plays them back at exactly 23.976 fps.

I've just looked up Fire TV Recast. Reading up it requires an antenna input in ATSC, i.e. in digital. It does not accept analogue whether PAL or NTSC.

So that limits you to an ATSC modulator, in fact 2 of them if you want to use both internal tuners.

I should wait until it gets released in Europe (if it does).

thank you for all your input, much appreciated. Unfortunately don’t think it will be released here. Very handy piece of kit I thought- was going to use a saorview aerial feed and freeview (can pickup in) and combine into one feed to get all freeview English and Irish channels- interface v good for FTA OTA dvr abs very easy with fire devices on all tvs I use - thanks again

Such a converter would be very very expensive because it has to work in real time. You need a device that can handle a PAL I source.

eg

thank you for the reply & your time. Had checked outthe vbox in the past but don’t think it’s what I’m looking for but thanks

Thsnks all for feedback

Could I potentially ask one more query

is it possible to convert a DVB-S/S2 into a DVB-T/T2 signal ? If so, is then possible to use a modulator/switch to combine two DVB-T coaxial cables into one ?

ie have a OTA box with a DVB-T Tuner - take a terrestrial feed (freeview/ saorview), take a freesat feed, convert to DVB-T and then combine both into one coax feed into the OTA box

Thanks for your time & comments

I use a Technomate TM-RF HD IR to convert the HDMI output from my Freesat box to DVB-T to send it via coax to other devices / TVs around the house on a single channel number (default LCN 800). With the right combination of splitters or combiners I think it would do what you want.

There are similar units made by other companies as well but at the time of purchase this was the best value.

Any suggestions where I can obtain an ATSC modulator in UK (or Europe)?

Could I potentially ask one more query

is it possible to convert a DVB-S/S2 into a DVB-T/T2 signal ? If so, is then possible to use a modulator/switch to combine two DVB-T coaxial cables into one ?

ie have a OTA box with a DVB-T Tuner - take a terrestrial feed (freeview/ saorview), take a freesat feed, convert to DVB-T and then combine both into one coax feed into the OTA box

Thanks for your time & comments

You can chain two digital modulators with each one set to use a different UHF channel. Each one connected to a HDMi source (one Freeview, one Saorsat). and connect the output to a standard UHF distribution box. Any remote TV will need a DVB -T HD tuner most HD TV's quallify, All Frreview-HD kit will work because DVB-T2 is backwards compatible with DVB-T. You can even connect a freeview-HD - PVR and record the content. Thiis will provide HD video and stereo audio.

You can chain two digital modulators with each one set to use a different UHF channel. Each one connected to a HDMi source (one Freeview, one Saorsat). and connect the output to a standard UHF distribution box. Any remote TV will need a DVB -T HD tuner most HD TV's quallify, All Frreview-HD kit will work because DVB-T2 is backwards compatible with DVB-T. You can even connect a freeview-HD - PVR and record the content. Thiis will provide HD video and stereo audio.

thanks for reply. Bear with me in case I’m misinterpreting your post

the FTA OTA DVR (eg hd homerun) has a dvb- T/2 tuner.

I’m in Ireland so in order to get the FTA UK (freesat DvB-S) and Irish (saorview DVB-T) my initial plan is to convert the freesat signal into a dvb-t signal and then use a uhf diplexer to combine both the freesat and saorview channels into a single coax cable to feed the OTA dvr tuner

if I understand you correctly I need a digital modulator to convert the sat signal into a terrestrial feed is that correct ? Think these are approx €150? - don’t follow your point with respect to taking feeds out of a freesat & saorview box using their hdmi out ?

TIA

thanks for reply. Bear with me in case I’m misinterpreting your post

the FTA OTA DVR (eg hd homerun) has a dvb- T/2 tuner.

I’m in Ireland so in order to get the FTA UK (freesat DvB-S) and Irish (saorview DVB-T) my initial plan is to convert the freesat signal into a dvb-t signal and then use a uhf diplexer to combine both the freesat and saorview channels into a single coax cable to feed the OTA dvr tuner

if I understand you correctly I need a digital modulator to convert the sat signal into a terrestrial feed is that correct ? Think these are approx €150? - don’t follow your point with respect to taking feeds out of a freesat & saorview box using their hdmi out ?

TIA

A digital modulator requires a HDMI source. It creates a DVB-T HD single channel multiplex using the UHF carrier you tell it to use. You have a choice of 21 - 68. It adds this channel to any input from an aerial connected to rf in. The channel you choose must be different to any that your local transmitter uses, If it's too close then they will interfere with each other. No UK transmitter uses channel 68. The channels from a UHF aerial are output plus the one created by the modulator are output from the rf out socket. The output from the first modulator connects to the second modulator rf in, The second modulator requires an HDMI input and a channel different to any others introduced by modulator 1.

So lets say you use modulator 2 to connect to the saorsat box HDMI out and set it to use channel 68.. This modulatator now has a single channel DVB-T HD Mux that is output from rf out. A DVB-T2 tuner can tune into this by manually tuning to UHF 68.

Now take modulator 1 and connect the Freesat HDM out to the Modulator in ( You can use a HDMI spliitter to feed the local TV if it does not have a HDMI out loop)

If you have a terrestrial aerial recieving DVB-T/T2 connect this to Mod 1 rf in, Choose a channel not used by your local transmiitter. eg 66 connect md1 rf out to mod 2 rf in. Connect mod 2 rf out to the distribution system used to feed the other TV.s

The cable feeding the other TV's now has all the channels you can get from your local transmiiter in the standard multichannel multiplexes it uses Plus two extra single channel DVB-T multiplexes on channel 68 and 66 (if you chose 66).

If no aerial in the system you manually tune the FTA box to channel 68 (saorsat) and to Channel 66 (Freesat).

Note these moduators cannot handle Dolby Digital audio so both source boxes will settings changed to output Stereo PCM audio. Not familiar with a Saorsat box, The UK Freesat box will have this in the TV settings menu. Digital audio out needs to be set to stereo rather than surround.

You may have to experiment with the choice of carrier channels if you have an aerial in the system.

Just had a lightbulb moment. You can getaway with a single modulator if you add a 2 in one out HDMI switch so you can select which of the two sources is feeding the modulator.

Amazon product ASIN B07DMR3T7Y

A very reasonable £350 on eBay:eek:
I prefer your idea GLT.

Just had a lightbulb moment. You can getaway with a single modulator if you add a 2 in one out HDMI switch so you can select which of the two sources is feeding the modulator.

Amazon product ASIN B07DMR3T7Y

Thank you for this but wouldnt you have to manually change the feed each time you wanted to watch either hdmi source?

Thank you for this but wouldnt you have to manually change the feed each time you wanted to watch either hdmi source?

A lot of these switches auto select the last powered item. So you need to be able to control the power of both boxes remotely. If the Freesat box is a Humax box then the remote scheduling app (no need to pair) acts as a WiFi remote. No idea about the soarsat box. Does it have web interface that provides remote control.

A humax Freesat + box could be used for saorsat of course.

Other than that a Infra red repeater pair would allow the original remotes or the supplied switch remote could be used.

Amazon product ASIN B000GIXH42

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom