1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pal-60

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sdh500, Feb 12, 2004.

1. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which DVD recorders can record a PAL-60 signal from a VCR playing an NTSC tape?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    I heard rumours the Pioneer 5100 can - haven't physically confirmed it yet though. Certainly the Panasonic range CANNOT do this - and I'm pretty sure the Philips can't as well. Don't have a clue about the Sony, Toshiba or JVC models - but I would suspect not to be honest.

3. jedi55

jedi55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I had a philips 880 DVD recorder, and it did record PAL60 from an NTSC tape. I used a Sony SLV-E730 video recorder.

However 880 has a history of breaking down at the six month mark. Hope this helps.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    I stand corrected.

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Philips and Pioneer recorders can record PAL 60

6. jedi55

jedi55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    Can the sony dvd recorders record PAL 60 from a NTSC tape. I was thinking of buying one.

7. dubtronix

dubtronix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if there is a specific reason why UK Panasonic VCRs and UK Panasonic DVD recorders are incompatible in this regard? I have a bunch of NTSC home movies, a Panasonic DVD recorder and a Panasonic VCR. When playing these tapes, the VCR will only output a PAL60 signal, but the DVD recorder will only accept a pure NTSC signal. Where is the sense in that?

I realise that I'll have to try and get hold of one of those worldwide VCRs or perhaps a US one, but it would have been so much simpler if the two machines had been compatible, and I still can't figure out why they shouldn't be, both made by the same company and both relatively new models.