1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pal 60 compatibility

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Black 5, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Does anyone know what this is and how I can tell if my daughter's telly has it?

Cheers:)

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,668
    When playing either:

1) An NTSC DVD (eg region 1 titles) using the majority of DVD players OR
    2) An NTSC video tape on a player that has "NTSC replay on PAL TV" OR
    3) various other similar things like imported Laserdiscs etc

the player will offer a choice between NTSC or PAL output. In these circumstances the PAL output is NOT fully converted to the UK PAL system (which is PAL, 50hz, 625 lines). It is output as a hybrid signal comprising a PAL Colour signal added to an otherwise NTSC picture, which is 60hz, 525 lines. This hybrid signal is known as any of: PAL/525/60; Pseudo PAL or PAL60.

In order to reproduce such a signal, the TV has to be capable of displaying the 525 lines, 60hz image structure correctly. Most Modern TVs do.

The only way to find out is to try it. It is rare for TV manufacturers to advertise this ability in their literature, specs, etc, as it's non-standard and is only there because it is easier for them to make TVs like this - only one set of chips irrespective of destination.

3. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nigel,

Thanks for the explanation

4. bill1962

bill1962

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nigel,

Does that mean that region 1 DVDs will play on a 50hz TV at 60hz?
    In other words region 1 DVDs will have a clearer picture than region 2?

I am not sure whethere to buy R1 or R2 DVDs, what do you think?

Thanks,

Bill

5. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    My Panasonic (50HZ) TV switches to 60Hz for region 1 DVDs and the flicker is much reduced in this mode.

I wouldn't go so far as saying the picture is "clearer". In fact the penalty for increased field rate is the slightly reduced number of scan lines, reducing vertical resolution.

In practice however, the result is pretty good.

100Hz TVs are a different matter!

John

6. Cinders

Cinders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    reply to bill1962

go region 4 mate. still pal-50 format, and much cheaper than buying region2 here.

check out

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/

Cinders.

7. bill1962

bill1962

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Cinders,

The exchange rate is excelent € to AU$ at the moment too.

Cheers,

Bill

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,668
    Yes, unless you have one of a few, usually "cheap" dvd players that convert the picture fully to PAL/625/50. This conversion is NOT a good thing as it introduces jagged diagonal lines, motion judder and other "nasties".
    Not neccesarily clearer. The refresh rate is higher, so you don't see "flicker" to the same extent. There are less horizontal lines in an NTSC (or PAL60) picture, so there is theoretically less detail. In practice this rarely has enough of an effect to make a difference. Many other factors can affect overall picture quality to a greater degree. For example, recent posts on this forum indicate that the PAL version of Final Fantasy is grainy - a description that certainly could NOT be applied to the R1 version.
    In general, R1 discs are better specified (in terms of features, extras etc) than R2 and they dont suffer the same censorship. However, there ARE exceptions. So you really do have to consider each title on its own merits. I wouldn't be swayed by the "PAL has increased resolution" argument as I don't think it makes that much difference, and other factors affect your experience to a much greater degree. If you want the cheapest PAL DVDs, then as Cinders says, check out R4 (eg www.ezydvd.com.au ) For useful comparisons between different regions, look at www.michaeldvd.com.au