PAL 50 Vs PAL 60.

p9ul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Up until now I've been running the 360 through PAL 50 on Sony Wega (KV32FQ75) telly without any probs (yes I know I need HD!)

Yesterday I downloaded Feeding Frenzy from the Market place and when I started it I was told it had to run at PAL60 - so adjusted the console settings to that to play it.

Is there any real benefit to PAL 60 or should I switch back to PAL50? I have noticed that somethings seems a little jerkier since the switch - most noticable is Bejewelled 2.

PAL 60 is the optimum setting for Games - more and more games will simply demand it to be on so I'd just get used to it TBH

Pal 60 is infinately better, much smoother. Only issue i have is that my Panny 28" CRT has started taking a disliking to 60hz, meaning i get shimmering at edges of the screen when using 60hz... how very odd.

Wellm last night I had a few hours of GRAW action and didnt see any noticable difference over PAL50.

One thing which does seem clearer is the dashboard, seems to be a little sharper now and it "slides" a little better also.

PAL 60 is lower res but higher refresh rate than PAL 50 so take your pick :)

Traditionally games developed in NTSC territories are way better in PAL 60 as it has the same res and refresh rate as NTSC. However this was before the brave new world of HD - I would guess that it doesn't make much difference in game on the 360. The increase in refresh rate with PAL 60 will make it seem a bit smoother though, at the cost of some detail.

game videos will all be encoded for pal60/ntsc, so wont suffer bad playback conversion, and most engines optimised better for it too, as HD stuff all runs in 60hz too, so its probably overall better option.

(Newbie to the 360) How do you switch to PAL-60? I cannot seem to find it under the Display Settings. I have changed to 720p etc, but there are no PAL options?

Any help would be appreciated :lease:

This is only an issue if you're using SD resolutions. As you're using 720p you don't need to worry about PAL types. I can't remember but I've got a feeling that there's a choice of one (i.e. 60Hz) refresh rate at 720p so that makes life easier.

Catsmeat said:
This is only an issue if you're using SD resolutions. As you're using 720p you don't need to worry about PAL types. I can't remember but I've got a feeling that there's a choice of one (i.e. 60Hz) refresh rate at 720p so that makes life easier.
Actually some 360 games require the 360 to be set to PAL60hz even if you are using HD so best to make sure your machine is running in PAL60hz. To do this flip the switch of the MS Component Cable from HD to TV, this will enable you to select PAL60hz from the options menu, then just flip back to HD when done.

Thanks Guys - worked a treat.

Also hooked it up for Dolby Digital :smashin:

Useful thread - thanks.

I've got a similar problem I was hoping someone might be able to help with.

I'm trying to run my 360 through a projector (Optoma ES520) that doesn't seem to cope with PAL-60 input from the 360.
With some games it seems fine (mainly the older ones), but with most of the new games the 360 tells me it has to switch to PAL-60 and then the image goes blurred with vertical bars.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

O:lease:

50hz is actually supported in HD specs for europe too, but all HD ready tv's must support both 50 and 60 hz, so for all game content the 360 outputs at 60hz at all times in HD modes.

Playing 60Hz through a 50Hz TV wont make much difference as the TV will still display 50Hz anyway, it will have to ignore the extra 10Hz because it can't display it.

If using a 60Hz TV then it will possibly make a big difference, but at HD resolutions your hard pushed to tell a difference.

50hz is actually supported in HD specs for europe too, but all HD ready tv's must support both 50 and 60 hz, so for all game content the 360 outputs at 60hz at all times in HD modes.

Not for Arcade games, playing an Arcade game in HD will give you the 60hz warning if you haven't set the SD settings to 60hz.

Not for Arcade games, playing an Arcade game in HD will give you the 60hz warning if you haven't set the SD settings to 60hz.

That was due to a bug in early SDK releases, and only on VGA I believe.

It /IS/ always running games in 60hz when in any HD mode, MS just left a bad video mode check in VGA on on 60hz only games into the SDK, I believe this has been long since fixed for newer titles, but yes, for this reason it is indeed still a good idea to set the 60hz flag in SD mode regardless, but this setting has no actual effect on the output when in HD.

That was due to a bug in early SDK releases, and only on VGA I believe.

It /IS/ always running games in 60hz when in any HD mode, MS just left a bad video mode check in VGA on on 60hz only games into the SDK, I believe this has been long since fixed for newer titles, but yes, for this reason it is indeed still a good idea to set the 60hz flag in SD mode regardless, but this setting has no actual effect on the output when in HD.

Unless you are running 1080p via Component or HDMI so not just with VGA. Newer games aren't affected, or don't seem to be, but for old games the bug definately affects HDMI and Component for 1080p if not all settings.

I've never been told to set my console to 60 Hz with VGA and if all you've got is a VGA cable then there's no way to get to the SD settings.

One thing to bare in mind with VGA is it's not 50 Hz compatible so any Xbox backwards compatible games that don't support 60 Hz will not work over VGA and even ones that do have a downside, like Halo 2 and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, because the Xbox Online Updater is 50 Hz only so the game itself will work but you won't be able to access the Online Updater to download any content.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom