1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pakistan touring parties

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Ian J, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It shows how bare the English spin bowling cuboard is when we have to pick 36 year old Shaun Udal who last played international cricket 11 years ago. He may have played well in the County Championship this season but is hardly one for the future.

Matt Prior is the reserve wicket keeper in both the Test and One Day squads so Chris Read is obviously past redemption now which is a shame.

An interesting selection for the One Day squad is Liam Plunkett who many of you may have never heard of. As a follower of the fortunes of Durham County Cricket Club I have seen him a couple of times and he is a 20 year old fast bowler who bowls at speeds at up to 90mph and is devastating on his day but sprays them around all over the place when it isn't. He reminds me of Steve Harmison at the same age in terms of his effectiveness and many cricket pundits feel that if he continues to develop he will soon be bowling alongside his fellow Geordie in the England team.

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    Plunkett sounds promising, that's what we need to be developing.

It's pretty dire about Udal.. talk about an emergency measure..:rolleyes:

It's strange we don't have more talent available though... we've had Warne coming over for ten years destroying us every time, you think we might have developed at least a couple of half-decent copycats by now.

Aren't there any 'un-trusted' younger spin bowlers at all in County Cricket? or is it really that bad?

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    I suppose Prior was always going to get the nod ahead of Chris Read :(

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As a Sussex follower I am pleased to see Matty Prior called up but I still think they should stick with G.Jones...

Curious about Darren Gough making himself unavailable for selection... surely his England career is now at an end - shame, he was fantastic on his day. It is unfortunate (for him) that he was around during such a crap era for England :(

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Chris Read is spending the winter with the Cricket Academy which I find rather odd. He has already spent a winter with them under Rod Marsh who subsequently stated that he was the batsmen of all that winter.

6. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Had it been anywhere but Pakistan/India then they well taken an up and coming spinner if there are any, but where they are we are likely to play some tests with two spinners so they need someone that can come in and contribute straight away.

Our big up and coming leg spinner hope, Chris Schofield, turned out to be to much of a party animal by all accounts so have come to nothing.

You would like to think that there will be a few leggies come through....if I had my time again I couldn't think of anything better but to give leg spinning a bit of a go as a result of Warne's efforts over the past 10 years.