Pairing streamer to older amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by connachtman, May 23, 2018.

1. connachtman

connachtman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I've just joined and having searched the forums I haven't found anything to answer my query. So, I hope someone out there may perhaps be able to offer guidance.

I'm considering an upgrade to my HI-FI, the first new kit for a considerable time and I'm looking at introducing streaming to my system to benefit from uninterrupted playback etc. My very early shortlist thus far is the Arcam rPlay and the Pioneer N-30AE.

My amp is the Marantz PM 7200 which I love and it has been a faithful servant since purchase in 2003 but I'm not certain it will have the necessary inputs for additional kit.

The available connections are the 'Processor' and Aux inputs and I think I can attach it via the Fixed Level audio outputs on the latter ? Will this work ?

An amp upgrade will take the cost beyond what I'm thinking about currently but such is life.

Many thanks for any advice!

Regards,
    Connachtman

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,700
    The Arcam has a built in DAC so it would be an analogue connection to the Marantz by RCA. I would imagine the Marantz would do a fine job of amplifiying the signal. The Arcams have a good reputation, I'm thinking about the rHead to drive my headphones.

3. muljao

muljao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
  4. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +797
    Perfectly fine idea and both the Arcam and Pioneer are great quality kit and will work perfectly with the Marantz. As will the Raumfeld.

Another to consider is this one. Another well specced high quality item. Great dac too.

Yamaha WXAD-10

5. connachtman

connachtman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to all,

Many thanks @gibbsy , @muljao & @Paul7777x - thank you for the quick replies to my query and the recommendations are very welcome too! In all my searches the Raumfeld never came up which may say something about Google and the way it renders its search results :)

Actually I ought to should have downloaded the manual for the Arcam sooner, this gives a detailed connection diagram, the unit slots into the Aux connection, so no problem with my current amp.

Again many thanks for your time and trouble.
    Connachtman

6. KenM10759

KenM10759

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    When I had just a lowly Denon AVR1912 for music (and 5.1 surround), I went with a Bluesound Vault to get all my CD's ripped and stored, but did quickly find I used it more for streaming Tidal HiFi. Things have changed a lot in the 2-1/2 years since then. The Vault is now a Vault 2, but it could easily be a much cheaper Node 2 as everything I've ripped is also now duplicated to a NAS. I use the unit's analog outputs because the DAC in the Vault 2 (and Node 2) is a very good Burr-Brown PCM5122 and well adapted to the unit.

7. 3rdignis

3rdignis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Do you have/run your tv through your stereo?
    Seems you need a dac.
    A lot of modern av equipment has Spotify.
    I use Apple 4k tv for tidal. (Apple do refurb option I believe)
    A dac with built in pre amp option may be of benefit if your amp can be modified.
    Pre amps have improved in value/peformance over time, power amps not so much.
    Recommend used chord mojo as built well and resale would be close to purchase price.