Pairing speakers to new amp

gwarde

Established Member
Reaction score
Following on from my recent thread in the hi-fi section, I recently purchased a Marantz PM6007 which is paired with a Rega P1 turntable and a CD player to follow. Really happy, but I feel that my current speakers Monitor Audio Bronze BR1 are the weakest link so I am considering buying new speakers in the £200 - £300 region(never part of the original plan)!!

Having done some research the following come to mind:

Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 or 12.2 (at a push)
Monitor Audio 3030i
B & W 606 or 607

Open to any suggestions.

I realise from reviews comments that they are all well respected speakers, however I am looking for advice or experiences of these or other speakers with the Marantz PM6007, my musical tastes are wide and varied, 60s soul to good modern music and everything in between. I guess I prefer a warmer sound from my system, any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

The Bronze R1's are speakers are only tiddlers , but as you are familiar with the sound, the Bronze 100 would be the natural upgrade. As you have also mentioned the 3030i's which are a great speaker. You could also add the Concept 20's from Q Acoustics to your list which were widely acclaimed by all who heard them and should work extremely well with the Marantz.

I've heard nothing bad about the Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 or 12.2 although I do wonder if the 12.1 will be a closer match to the Bronze R1's which you are trying to move away from

The only ones I'm unable to comment on are the B&W's as I simply haven't heard them

The Bronze R1's are speakers are only tiddlers , but as you are familiar with the sound, the Bronze 100 would be the natural upgrade. As you have also mentioned the 3030i's which are a great speaker. You could also add the Concept 20's from Q Acoustics to your list which were widely acclaimed by all who heard them and should work extremely well with the Marantz.

I've heard nothing bad about the Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 or 12.2 although I do wonder if the 12.1 will be a closer match to the Bronze R1's which you are trying to move away from

The only ones I'm unable to comment on are the B&W's as I simply haven't heard them
That's interesting to hear about the concept 20's, not a speaker I am familiar with, I'm guessing that would be a second hand purchase?

No, we still have brand new unopened Concept 20's boxes available (I'm not 100% sure, but I think we did buy the last of them as they're a great speaker and had the chance to)

No, we still have brand new some unopened Concept 20's boxes available (I'm not 100% sure, but I think we did buy the last of them as they're a great speaker and had the chance to)
Thanks, I'll have a look. Do you think they would pair up well with the Marantz I mentioned?

Thanks, I'll have a look. Do you think they would pair up well with the Marantz I mentioned?
Are we talking about qAcoustics? If so it should be no problem.

Have you considered 3030i from qAcoustic? Warm sound, but deep cabinets. So you need stands which can accommodate the speakers.

Yeah, They're a really musical speaker and the Marantz has what's required to hear that musical side of them. I'd say they're a great partnership. But see what others say to

Are we talking about qAcoustics? If so it should be no problem.

Have you considered 3030i from qAcoustic? Warm sound, but deep cabinets. So you need stands which can accommodate the speakers.
Yes, the 3030i was one I identified early. The depth is the only concern.

Yes, the 3030i was one I identified early. The depth is the only concern.
Yes, real shame they are so large. Still if you want there are speaker stands manufacturers who can customize stands which fit them. But that’s gonna twice as much as the speakers.

Which stands do you use now? Dimensions on the top plate?

B&W 606,607 to bright

Add Mission LX 2 MKII to your list

Yes, real shame they are so large. Still if you want there are speaker stands manufacturers who can customize stands which fit them. But that’s gonna twice as much as the speakers.

Which stands do you use now? Dimensions on the top plate?
Yes, probably push the budget way over!! Current stands have top plates of 14cms square, fine for the BR1s, but way too small for the 3030i

Thanks for all of the good advice, the most interesting point is the lack of comments, positive or negative about the Wharfedales. Not sure what to read into that!!

For nearfield listening on a desk on each sice of your monitor, don't buy the big ones unless you really have the space, especially in the depth

I have the LX3 MKII im missing something from the bass BNUT it's not bloated,pumped,boomy (infineon dual chiped amp is surpose to get alot better after burn in and i got the misssions today so nothing is burned in)

Last edited:
From personal experience, QA and Marantz pair really nicely. I had QA 2020i with Marantz. Great sound. Entertaining and very musical.

Nad all in one system with QA 2010i great for tv

Yes, probably push the budget way over!! Current stands have top plates of 14cms square, fine for the BR1s, but way too small for the 3030i
I do believe Atacama can have some stands. Contact them, or talk to qAcoustic directly.

As Shane says above, you can’t do better, or even as good as the Concept 20s for this silly price.

Except for, perhaps these,

Both excellent speakers, easily drivable by the Marantz.

Personally I prefer the look and the extra heft of the Missions.

Just when I thought I'd decided on QA 3030i, another door opens! Always worth a look though, thanks.

Ah.... but wait a mo’.

I’d forgotten about these. Frankly they wipe out all the previous options here...

Leagues above.

£800 worth of Rega deliciousness.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Ah.... but wait a mo’.

I’d forgotten about these. Frankly they wipe out all the previous options here...

Leagues above.

£900 worth of Rega deliciousness.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom