Pairing recommendation for a noob?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by vanryck1, Jun 20, 2018.

1. vanryck1

vanryck1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received a set of B&W 683s and an older Martin Logan sub from my brother and am looking for suggestions on stereo receiver\amp to pair them with. I'm hoping to keep the price at $500 or less and will consider something used. The speakers would be used primarily for music... generally acoustic, folk, soft\medium rock.

Thanks in advance!

2. Hixs

Hixs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,663
  3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,128
    683's, especially the older one, have pretty good bass on their own.

US$500 brings you close, but it is unclear what you want or how you will use the system?

First, what are the dimensions of the room the system will be in?

Second, what are your range of sources of content? CD? Vinyl? Streaming? Computer? TV? Other?

Lastly what is your budget?
    OK, you've implied a budget, but saying is better than implying.

The problem with large floorstanding speakers is that they go too deep to be blended with a Subwoofer. That is the speaker go down to 35hz (best guess) but the Sub can only be set to 45hz. That leaves an are of 10hz between 35hz and 45hz where the two speakers will overlap, and that overlap will give an artificial bass boost in that region. You may like that, but it is not going to create the most seamless blend between the Front and the Sub ... still you might like it.

For someone trying to maximize what they get for their money, this is pretty good -

Yamaha AS501 Integrated, 85w/ch, DAC, Phone, Sub-Out - US$550 - (black or silver) -

Yamaha A-S501 (Silver) - Crutchfield

There is a place - Accessories4Less - that has great deals on B-Stock Amps and Speakers.

Here are the Yamaha AS501 Integrated Amps with DAC ($399) at very nice discounts -

YAMAHA A-S501 2-Ch x 85 Watts Integrated Amplifier w/ Built-in DAC Silver

YAMAHA A-S501 2-Ch x 85 Watts Integrated Amplifier w/ Built-in DAC Black

You can save some money by getting a Receiver (Amp+Radio). Here is a fantastic deal on a -

Yamaha RN803 Network Receiver, 100w/ch, Network, Bluetooth, Room EQ, Bass Management, DAC - $599 - ($750 at Crutchfield - A-Stock) -

YAMAHA R-N803 2-Ch x 100 Watts Networking Stereo Receiver

Here is the RN803 from Crutchfield just so you understand the size of the discount -

Yamaha R-N803 Network Receiver - Crutchfield

If Accessories4less can deliver the Yamaha RN803 that would be my top pick. Excellent amp with Network Streaming, and lucky for you it has Bass Management so you can set the Front and Sub crossover any where you want.

The B-Stock at Accessories4Less can mean a variety of things. Typically it is an Amp sent back to the Factory for Repair. To save time, they send a new Amp to the person, repair the old amp and sell it though B-Stock sellers like Accessories4Less. I've bought a Yamaha RX-797 100w/ch Stereo Receiver that I have had for many years, and still use today, which I bought off of Ebay for about a 60% discount as a B-Stock item. Typically you get a basic 1 year warranty from the Manufacturer.

If you can come up with an extra $100, the Yamaha RN803 is really the most amp you will ever get for $600. It has every feature you could possible want -

- Network Streaming from the Internet and from local Storage
    - DAC with 2xOptical and 2xCoacial, and USB-Media
    - Phone In
    - Sub-Out with Bass Management
    - Room EQ which can help balance the sound in a room.

There are other options, but check out the links, and tell us what you think, then we can advise further.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  4. vanryck1

vanryck1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the thorough reply. I really appreciate that you would spend the time to help out someone new. I looked through the links and think that the RN803 may be the way to go. Not only does it seem to pair well with the speakers, it also give me the networking that I didn't even think about.

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,128